View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 08:05am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Neither coach said a word, both completely understood it was nothing more than a train wreck, 2 players and the ball all arriving at the same place at the same time. It was the defenses parents that were screaming for an ejection which then got a retort from the offensive teams parents. I thought the uniformed police officer watching the game would settle things down, but apparently he was the instigator in much of it.
I would've contacted the Athletic Director of the host school and let him/her know the situation. Down here my way, the police officer at our HS games are sometimes the home team's school resource officer who is essentially permanent school staff responsible for law enforcement and law education at the campus. They do tend to become acquaintances with home team fans since they seem them so often, and can understandably take a partial view toward the outcome of the game. But they certainly should not instigate any kind of negative fan reaction. If one does, the AD needs to know.

Otherwise, contact your assignor to let him/her know what happened. This officer needs to be reprimanded for his actions at your game, and your assignor should be able to find out who needs to take action.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker