The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Out thought myself

Classic blarge last night. I was the T. Guy strong to the basket...C and L both have whistles...neither knows it, neither really looks at the other--one signals block, one charge--then they look at each other. Both try to now defer to the other but it is too late as the entire gym sees them.

Then I decide to make matters worse. :-) (I figure that we all tell the good stories, why not share our own mistakes...in fact I learn better from my mistakes as then I don't repeat them). Anyhow, I had been reading and re-reading all the rules and Case Book plays and I then confused the case book for a false-double foul with the ruling for the block/charge double foul.

In the case book, if A1 makes the basket and A1 is called for a charge and B1 called for a block, you count the try as the double foul takes away the player control foul. Then you go to POI which is a throw in for Team B.

However, if B1 fouls A1 while shooting, and then A1 charges into B2, this creates a false double foul. If the basket is made the 2 points are cancelled due to the player control foul and 2 shots are awarded with the lane cleared and B will get the ball at the POI.

Well, put those 2 together and you get what I did. We shot 2 free throws and then went with the arrow. I DID IT ALL WRONG. It is one of those plays where you feel the spidey-sense warning you but ignore it anyhow. Anyways, I explained it all to my partners before reporting it, but I think they were still shell shocked from the blarge to say anything.

Anyway--just don't do what I did. You should all know now. :-)
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
... reading and re-reading all the rules and Case Book plays and I then confused the case book for a false-double foul with the ruling for the block/charge double foul.

In the case book, if A1 makes the basket and A1 is called for a charge and B1 called for a block, you count the try as the double foul takes away the player control foul. Then you go to POI which is a throw in for Team B.
4.19.8C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
However, if B1 fouls A1 while shooting, and then A1 charges into B2, this creates a false double foul. If the basket is made the 2 points are cancelled due to the player control foul and 2 shots are awarded with the lane cleared and B will get the ball at the POI.
??
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
4.19.8C

??

Look at Case Book 4.19.9 A

A1 leaps high and is fouled by B1 as he taps the ball which subsequently goes through A's basket. A1 fouls B2 in returning to the floor.

Ruling: This is a False Double Foul. The foul by B1 does not cause the ball to become dead. However, the player control foul by A1 does cause the ball to become dead and also dictates that no goal can be scored. Since the goal is not scored, A1 is awarded two free throws for the foul by B1. No players are allowed along the lane as Team B will be awarded the ball following the last free throw.

Basically what I did was make a bad situation completely worse by mixing it all together.