The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 15, 2016, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

ASA - Batter/Runner touches 1st thinks ball is dropped and heads towards dugout

This play caused quite the controversy tonight:

Runners on 1st and 2nd, batter hits flyball to centerfield. Centerfielder dives towards the fence and just barely misses the ball. At this point the batter/runner has run though 1st base and thinks the ball is caught and heads towards the dugout.

The batter/runner never leaves the field, but ends up near the 1st base dugout before he realizes what happens. By that time the ball makes it in the infield and first base is touched and the runner is tagged (for good measure). All hell breaks lose after this as the umps have no idea what to call. They eventually agree that since he never made an attempt for second, he's basically free to do what he wants and is safe at first. I vehemently disagreed, but to no avail.

I can't find a clear ruling in the rule book, what was the proper call?

Thanks!
Old Mon Aug 15, 2016, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlernr View Post
This play caused quite the controversy tonight:

Runners on 1st and 2nd, batter hits flyball to centerfield. Centerfielder dives towards the fence and just barely misses the ball. At this point the batter/runner has run though 1st base and thinks the ball is caught and heads towards the dugout.

The batter/runner never leaves the field, but ends up near the 1st base dugout before he realizes what happens. By that time the ball makes it in the infield and first base is touched and the runner is tagged (for good measure). All hell breaks lose after this as the umps have no idea what to call. They eventually agree that since he never made an attempt for second, he's basically free to do what he wants and is safe at first. I vehemently disagreed, but to no avail.

I can't find a clear ruling in the rule book, what was the proper call?

Thanks!
It depends a little on how you acted when you vehemently disagreed. If you were reasonable and took no for an answer then no ejection. If you lost it, then you had to go. ;-)
Seriously though, you're asking about how the protest you lodged will be ruled on? (K, that was less than serious but I do hope you protested.)
On the actual serious front the rules require a BR who overruns first to return immediately to the base. It doesn't sound like that's what happened, though immediate is in the judgment of the umpire. Since he didn't return to first he's subject to be called out on appeal which you did.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2016, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

The runner is out if he enters the dugout (8-7-U, paraphrased). Did he remain on the playing field?

Was he back on the base when he was tagged? If so, he's obviously not out no matter what happened before the tag (unless, as above, he entered the dugout). If he touched 1B, overran it, and was abandoning his attempt to advance or return directly to the base (8-8-I), he can be tagged out while off the base.

As a follow-up question to the rest of the umpires here: In this situation, if the ball is returned to 1B without a verbal appeal, would you rule on the live-ball appeal? For that matter, is there a live-ball appeal being properly made? (I say no, unless the defense tags the runner.)

Edit to add: I'm sure in the title you mean "runner thinks ball is caught" but we get it.

Last edited by teebob21; Mon Aug 15, 2016 at 11:10pm.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2016, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
As a follow-up question to the rest of the umpires here: In this situation, if the ball is returned to 1B without a verbal appeal, would you rule on the live-ball appeal? For that matter, is there a live-ball appeal being properly made? (I say no, unless the defense tags the runner.)
This is not an appeal play. The runner must be tagged with a live ball prior to returning to the base safely
Old Mon Aug 15, 2016, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Safe

If the batter stays on the field he is safe. Right call
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
If I read the OP correctly, the BR/R did not leave the field; but was tagged by a live ball while off the base and not returning directly. That is an out, if it is treated as an appeal.

We have discussed recognizing such a play as an appeal several times; which is the deciding factor in this case.
I would say it is; if the fielder(s) acted as if they were trying to catch the BR/R in a running violation.
If the fielder just tagged the BR/R haphazardly with no apparent intent; then it's back to a question of what constitutes an appeal.

BTW, the OP is very well done, clear and lacking useless embellishment.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
If I read the OP correctly, the BR/R did not leave the field; but was tagged by a live ball while off the base and not returning directly. That is an out, if it is treated as an appeal.

We have discussed recognizing such a play as an appeal several times; which is the deciding factor in this case.
I would say it is; if the fielder(s) acted as if they were trying to catch the BR/R in a running violation.
If the fielder just tagged the BR/R haphazardly with no apparent intent; then it's back to a question of what constitutes an appeal.

BTW, the OP is very well done, clear and lacking useless embellishment.
Again, NOT an appeal.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

All we have here is a play on an active runner.

From the OP, it sounds as if the BR hit the ball, advanced to first, then turned and headed toward the first base dugout thinking the ball had been caught. When he realized it hadn't, he returned to first base.

The look back rule doesn't come into play here (assuming this was a FP or modified game) and if it was a SP game, time had not been called as far as we know.

I acknowledge that there was a delay in the player returning to first base, but there was also a live ball. If there was no attempt to second base, there is no play to be had on the BR. The only appeal would be if he missed first base, which was not the case.

Sounds as if the umpires on the field got the call right. I'm curious as to the basis of your "vehement" disagreement.....
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Again, NOT an appeal.
So I've never quite understood why a BR overrunning first and turning toward second is considered an appeal. (It has to be executed by tagging the runner who would be out anyway.) But under what theory is that an appeal and going off to wander around foul territory is not. Just because that's literally what it says?
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So I've never quite understood why a BR overrunning first and turning toward second is considered an appeal. (It has to be executed by tagging the runner who would be out anyway.) But under what theory is that an appeal and going off to wander around foul territory is not. Just because that's literally what it says?
Yes!
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Again, NOT an appeal.
Ok, if not advancing and did not miss the base.

Do you agree with this:
"On the actual serious front the rules require a BR who overruns first to return immediately to the base"?
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

That's only when the ball's in the circle (8.7.t)
And I don't think it's "immediately", just directly.
She can mosey on back, as long as she doesn't change her mind about where she's going.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Ok, if not advancing and did not miss the base.

Do you agree with this:
"On the actual serious front the rules require a BR who overruns first to return immediately to the base"?
Seems like we have discussed this before. While the book does say "immediately", there is no definition of what that means.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyball View Post
If the batter stays on the field he is safe. Right call
Except that he was tagged out.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Seems like we have discussed this before. While the book does say "immediately", there is no definition of what that means.
And being extremely technical the rule merely says that the BR is not out if they return immediately. It says nothing about what happens if the BR doesn't unless they advance to second.