View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 15, 2016, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlernr View Post
This play caused quite the controversy tonight:

Runners on 1st and 2nd, batter hits flyball to centerfield. Centerfielder dives towards the fence and just barely misses the ball. At this point the batter/runner has run though 1st base and thinks the ball is caught and heads towards the dugout.

The batter/runner never leaves the field, but ends up near the 1st base dugout before he realizes what happens. By that time the ball makes it in the infield and first base is touched and the runner is tagged (for good measure). All hell breaks lose after this as the umps have no idea what to call. They eventually agree that since he never made an attempt for second, he's basically free to do what he wants and is safe at first. I vehemently disagreed, but to no avail.

I can't find a clear ruling in the rule book, what was the proper call?

Thanks!
It depends a little on how you acted when you vehemently disagreed. If you were reasonable and took no for an answer then no ejection. If you lost it, then you had to go. ;-)
Seriously though, you're asking about how the protest you lodged will be ruled on? (K, that was less than serious but I do hope you protested.)
On the actual serious front the rules require a BR who overruns first to return immediately to the base. It doesn't sound like that's what happened, though immediate is in the judgment of the umpire. Since he didn't return to first he's subject to be called out on appeal which you did.