The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

It doesn't appear that the ASA has such a rule. Their mindset must only be geared towards adult softball. The batter/runner who is already out (1st occupied less than 2 out)& can't go, is now going to first, drawing a throw, we have an overthrow into right field, then more subsequent plays...all on someone who is out. Why can't they disallow it, and kill the play in youth ball. Or at least 16 & Under. The other baserunners who are stealing is the issue.
Many UIC's at local level ball are recommending we Kill the play and put the stealing runners back to where they were before all the Chaos started. OPINIONS ??
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't your defense have a coach?

It is the defense's (esp the catcher) responsibility to know the game situation and to not throw the ball, or perhaps to throw down to second (or wherever) to get the runner attempting to steal.

I call a lot of 12U rec ball. Whenever there are 2 strikes on the batter, the coach is always reminding the catcher of the situation (# of outs, 1st occupied, etc.)

3rd strike is a live ball. It is legal for runner on base to attempt to advance during any live ball.

I think the rule is fine just as it is.

Perhaps, as I implied with my first question, the real problem is with coaching?
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

BTW, chuck, I just noticed your post count...

Welcome to the board!
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Sometimes..depending on the situation I will just say loudly..OUT when that batter tries to start running..know it isnt Kosher but....saves tons of arguments!
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
It doesn't appear that the ASA has such a rule. Their mindset must only be geared towards adult softball. The batter/runner who is already out (1st occupied less than 2 out)& can't go, is now going to first, drawing a throw, we have an overthrow into right field, then more subsequent plays...all on someone who is out. Why can't they disallow it, and kill the play in youth ball. Or at least 16 & Under. The other baserunners who are stealing is the issue.
Many UIC's at local level ball are recommending we Kill the play and put the stealing runners back to where they were before all the Chaos started. OPINIONS ??
There is no difference in the rule for JO or adult.

I suggest you check ASA rule 8.7.P. This specifically states that the rule does NOT apply to a BR running to first base when not entitled due to an uncaught third strike.

Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
Welcome to the board, but I doubt you'll find much sympathy for that rule change - especially at 16&U. I think ASA used to have such a variation for the 10&U game. At 16&U, those are ball players and ASA is treating them as ball playres - they need to be alert. Mike cited the rule for you. Those uic's who recommend killing the play are doing the umpires and the players a disservice.

Steve M
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Whenever that happened in my game(s), I hollered, "BATTER'S OUT! BATTER'S OUT!"

If the catcher couldn't understand that, and/or hadn't been coached properly, tough.

I agree with the others. Don't change the rules to cover dumb coaching.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Sometimes..depending on the situation I will just say loudly..OUT when that batter tries to start running..know it isnt Kosher but....saves tons of arguments!
It is "kosher", in fact very good umpiring and a recommended mechanic to call "Batter Is OUT" on such a play, just as bz said.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
I remember an article in Referee magazine that mentioned the original situation, if done intentionally just to draw a throw, could be considered USC. I do what you are suggesting and it always works great for me. It batters usually immediately quit running.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
I remember an article in Referee magazine that mentioned the original situation, if done intentionally just to draw a throw, could be considered USC. I do what you are suggesting and it always works great for me. It batters usually immediately quit running.
It is good umpiring, and I do that too, but just to emphasize - even if the umpire remains stoic and stationary like a statue, it is still the defense's responsiblity to know the situation and not make a stupid throw.

Regarding the Referee magazine article, since in their heart of hearts they don't consider softball a real sport, they have apparently not read the ASA rule on this.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

3rd strike dropped/infield fly chaos going to 1st

Since most of what I UMP is regular rec council level, not regional/national/school ball level..I have even told the batter as she enters the box if its an infield fly situation or if its a "no go" 3rd strike dropped situation, just to avoid having the batter/runner running all over the place when she is already out. These kids are 10-15 years old. Some of them just won't catch on to the more complicated rules.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Re: 3rd strike dropped/infield fly chaos going to 1st

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Since most of what I UMP is regular rec council level, not regional/national/school ball level..I have even told the batter as she enters the box if its an infield fly situation or if its a "no go" 3rd strike dropped situation, just to avoid having the batter/runner running all over the place when she is already out. These kids are 10-15 years old. Some of them just won't catch on to the more complicated rules.
While I understand your motives, I see a couple of problems with this.

1) In the context of your rec games, you set yourself up for being the guy to blame if you forget to mention one of these more complicated situations and then all manner of chaos ensues.

2) This is coaching. Umpires are not coaches. It puts us in the position of favoring one team over the other.

My recomendation is you stop this practice.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Totally agree with Tom on this....Now should some of these
players get on travel teams and are not told of these
situations, they are gonna blame old "blue". We normally
have enough to handle without being blamed for not "reminding"
players of certain situations.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Red face

Chuck,

I don't think you should do that! Just holler "Batter's OUT!"

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elaine "Lady Blue"
I don't think you should do that! Just holler "Batter's OUT!"
Elaine, thanks for phrasing your answer so I can understand it.