The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
ASA does not have an out call for flagrant/excessive or malicious contact.
Your words. You didn't specify by situation.

ASA does have an out call for flagrant contact.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Which is rule supplement 13 and only applies to a fielder in possession of the ball and waiting to make a tag.
That is why I said "nearest".
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Your words. You didn't specify by situation.

ASA does have an out call for flagrant contact.
Which rule do you mean?
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilone View Post
which rule do you mean?
rs 13
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
rs 13
This particular play has been the source of most of my dead-ball outs and a bunch of missed youth ejections over my umpiring career. Most of that has been ASA ball. Today I learned there is no interference rule against a runner "interfering" with a fielder who does not have the ball. I have probably called this out 20 times with no one ever protesting (except when I ejected a 12 y.o. kid).

Instead of the catcher, let's imagine this play at 3B. A runner from 2B intends to score on a base hit to LF. When rounding 3B, the runner intentionally runs over and through F5 who is waiting for the cutoff throw. There is no ASA rule support for an out or a dead ball.

If the fielder has the ball when the crash is initiated by the runner, we have the RS #13 and 8-7-Q rule support. Otherwise, a strict interpretation of the rules would lead me to believe we play on, and eject at the conclusion of play.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 03:17pm
High Five Master

I think that rule then and pardon my French is bullshit. On what grounds can you eject if you don't have enough to have an out and a dead ball? The two should be inclusive to each other
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I think that rule then and pardon my French is bullshit. On what grounds can you eject if you don't have enough to have an out and a dead ball? The two should be inclusive to each other
Rule 1: Ejected Participant - A team representative removed from the game by the umpire, usually for an unsportsmanlike act or conduct.

Trucking a player without the ball just because there is no other penalty in the ASA rules = unsportsmanlike conduct. Now, I don't disagree with you that perhaps there should be an additional penalty for a bush league move like this, but unless someone gives a rule cite, there simply isn't one.

Last edited by teebob21; Thu Mar 24, 2016 at 05:50pm.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ever hear of unsportsmanlike conduct?

They used to have an out in the old regime when MB & HP justified the call with a long stretch of rule interpretations.

In 2009, I proposed a change which removed the words "has the ball" which would result in an INT ruling including an out for the runner who creates flagrant contact with a possible subsequent ejection.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 06:40pm
High Five Master

Of course I have heard of unsportsmanlike conduct......which is how you eject in any rule set. Maybe ASA should stop worrying about chin straps and silly things like that and get this rule right. Around here, it's fallen by the wayside anyway so it's nothing to me but I'd be bothered with an ejection but no out in this type of play.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Instead of the catcher, let's imagine this play at 3B. A runner from 2B intends to score on a base hit to LF. When rounding 3B, the runner intentionally runs over and through F5 who is waiting for the cutoff throw. There is no ASA rule support for an out or a dead ball.

If the fielder has the ball when the crash is initiated by the runner, we have the RS #13 and 8-7-Q rule support. Otherwise, a strict interpretation of the rules would lead me to believe we play on, and eject at the conclusion of play.
In NFHS, if the initiator of the malicious contact is the offensive player, the play is dead immediately and the offender is declared out (if not already having been put out).

While ASA doesn't seem to have an out unless the defender has the ball and awaiting to tag the runner, is there anything that says the play would be dead immediately as in NFHS?
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course I have heard of unsportsmanlike conduct......which is how you eject in any rule set. Maybe ASA should stop worrying about chin straps and silly things like that and get this rule right. Around here, it's fallen by the wayside anyway so it's nothing to me but I'd be bothered with an ejection but no out in this type of play.
If I'm.not mistaken asa no longer requires chin straps.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 08:54pm
High Five Master

Quote:
If I'm.not mistaken asa no longer requires chin straps.

I'll admit I don't know bc I don't do it anymore. But last time I did, chin straps was all anyone was concerned about. I found it very silly.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Ever hear of unsportsmanlike conduct?

They used to have an out in the old regime when MB & HP justified the call with a long stretch of rule interpretations.

In 2009, I proposed a change which removed the words "has the ball" which would result in an INT ruling including an out for the runner who creates flagrant contact with a possible subsequent ejection.
I agree 100%. Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Use some common sense. You see a player with or without the ball and they get intentionaly taken by a offensive player just to be taking her out. And she should be called out and ejected. RS 13 or what ever you want to say. But I am ejecting and calling out.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

If you are working an asa game and the fielder does not have the ball you have no rule basis to call an out.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I find it very poor of ASA to not have this rule. Very silly.

It's a rule of equity. Simple as that.