The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 25, 2011, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Malicious Contact

I was told by someone that Babe Ruth, Legion, and NCAA baseball do not have malicious contact rules. I am 99% sure they do........just checking.

Thanks.

Joel
Old Mon Jul 25, 2011, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2011, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Not exactly.

The NCAA has rulings about flagrant and malicious contact regarding collisions. See pages 103 and 104 in the current rule book - 8-7 handles it, while 2-30 on page 32 defines it as "A collison between a base runner and a fielder in which the runner maliciously attempts to dislodge the ball.

The 2011 Rules Meetings showed numerous videos and the 2011 NCAA Baseball Supplement has six paragraphs on page 12 emphasizing the particulars. The runner must not attempt to dislodge the ball and avoid a collison if he can reach the base without colliding.

In NCAA baseball, a runner who violates the rule is out. Malicious contact also results in an ejection.

Good luck.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2011, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
You are correct.
Thanks......I was able to find the NCAA rule. I did not go hunting a legion book.

Thanks again.

Joel
Old Mon Jul 25, 2011, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Not exactly.

The NCAA has rulings about flagrant and malicious contact regarding collisions. See pages 103 and 104 in the current rule book - 8-7 handles it, while 2-30 on page 32 defines it as "A collison between a base runner and a fielder in which the runner maliciously attempts to dislodge the ball.

The 2011 Rules Meetings showed numerous videos and the 2011 NCAA Baseball Supplement has six paragraphs on page 12 emphasizing the particulars. The runner must not attempt to dislodge the ball and avoid a collison if he can reach the base without colliding.

In NCAA baseball, a runner who violates the rule is out. Malicious contact also results in an ejection.

Good luck.
Mike,

Just to point out one minor issue here: FED has the same provision, though the language is different. You can have interference on contact that is not malicious. BR, Legion, and other rules codes follow the FED language here.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Mike,

Just to point out one minor issue here: FED has the same provision, though the language is different. You can have interference on contact that is not malicious. BR, Legion, and other rules codes follow the FED language here.
I called Legion and Jr. Teenage ball (which I think is Babe Ruth now) in the late 70's and into the 80's.......they had few provisions for safety like it is written now. But I do remember they all still had language that prohibited flagrant contact.

Thanks again.

Joel
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Not exactly.

Good luck.
Muh... what? How is this "not exactly" having rules about malicious contact?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

And MLB?

And MLB? Are there any malicious contact or unsafe play rules there?
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
I was told by someone that Babe Ruth, Legion, and NCAA baseball do not have malicious contact rules. I am 99% sure they do........just checking.

Thanks.

Joel
Most of our Legion teams played FED during the summer, but I don't remember what Legion uses now .... been several years ago since i've called any Legion teams.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Legion Rule Book, page 3, Rule 1 E (2) contains a highlighted box entitled "Malicious Contact" which begins: "Any player who, in the judgement of the umpire, maliciously contacts another player is automatically ejected, and, if the offender is a runner, is declared out."
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Muh... what? How is this "not exactly" having rules about malicious contact?
I responded to the first two posts regarding Babe Ruth, Legion and NCAA baseball. Read them.

NCAA baseball has a FLAGRANT COLLISION rule, it is not called malicious contact, thus the 'not exactly'. I included all of their language and rules notations. Fed, Legion and a couple other rule sets call it 'Malicious Contact'.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 02:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
I called Legion and Jr. Teenage ball (which I think is Babe Ruth now) in the late 70's and into the 80's.......they had few provisions for safety like it is written now. But I do remember they all still had language that prohibited flagrant contact.

Thanks again.

Joel
It was like that when I was doing Pony, Colt, and Palomino in the mid-80's. Many leagues allowed and even encouraged Rose/Fosse style plays at the plate. I believe it was 88 or 89 before they started adding in safety rules at the local levels here.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25