The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Overtime

My state (Illinois) uses the suggested OT procedure that is in the back of the NF rules book.

I have a couple of questions. It seems that crews are doing different things in reference to the administration of the OT. First is the coin toss.

It is my understanding that the coin only gets flipped ONCE. For a second OT, the toss loser gets his choice of end of field, offense, or defense. For third and subsequent OTs, the choices are simply alternated with NO new choices. You just simply use the choices for the first OT for the third and second for a fourth OT, and so on. Am I correct? If not, someone correct me please.

Second question is in reference to choosing an end. Let's say Team A has a lights out kicker. Team B wins the toss and elects to play on the end facing the wind (north). It goes to a second OT and Team A then elects as it's first choice to play on the south end. Do you play each subsequent period on those respective ends, meaning each OT will be on opposite ends of the field. I know that the losing team of the toss can elect to go to the other end for the second OT as it is in the case examples in the book, but does it apply for all other OTs?

Thanks.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 09:13am
TODO: creative title here

Only one coin toss for overtime. Winner gets first choice at start of each odd-numbered overtime period, loser gets first choice at start of each even-numbered period.

And the first choice is just that... choosing team can choose either a) offense/defense first, or b) which side of the field to play on. Non-choosing team gets the other option.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I guess what is confusing to me is the wording in the rule. It says that starting with the third OT that first OTIONS will be alternated. That could be interpreted as not choice, just an alternating of the first options from the original coin toss.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Per the suggested NFHS overtime rules "If the score remains tied after each team has been given one series of downs in an overtime period, then the procedure shall be repeated with other overtime periods until a game winner is determined. In this case, there shall be an intermission of two minutes. At the subsequent meeting of team captains, the loser of the overtime coin toss will be given first choice of the options. If additional overtime periods are required, then first options will be alternated with no coin toss."

We have been told that this is interpreted as the team that lost the overtime coin toss gets to chose who is on offense first, and this will be alternated for any additional overtimes. However, there is no change in regards to the end of the field the overtimes are played on. All overtime possessions/periods are played at the same end of the field unless that end becomes unplayable.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

That has been my understanding also. However, it has been pointed out to me that one of the FIRST OPTIONS is which end of the field to play on. If that is chosen by the winner of the toss, then when options are alternated, why isn't that alternated? The rule isn't clear really.

Where I get lost is this: First OT Team A wins the toss and chooses offense. Team B chooses the north end. No scoring. Second OT, Team B chooses defense. Can Team A then choose the south end?

Regardless of which end they choose, The second OT starts just like the first, with Team A on offense. My question is this: For the third OT does "alternate first options" mean to play it like the first OT, or start alternating O and D from the second OT and make Team B start on offense?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

My understanding is the options are presented before each OT "inning" with the each team alternating who has first choice. I would encourage the teams to stay on the same end, but I do believe the team who has the second choice can move it to the other end if they wish.

In 14 years I've only worked 2 varsity OT games (oddly in the same season) and both were over in the first OT.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 07:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm thrilled that WI uses the NCAA overtime provisions. Only one set for me to remember. If I was lucky, they'd adopt the rest of the NCAA rules, like TX and MA.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 08:22am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm thrilled that WI uses the NCAA overtime provisions. Only one set for me to remember. If I was lucky, they'd adopt the rest of the NCAA rules, like TX and MA.
And what would you do with all that spare time?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I actually thought they were leaning that way for a bit, but in reality they may be one of the last states to convert when all is said and done. And just when I think the NFL/NCAA trickle down effect is happening, then the Fed gets all the boys together and does a switcheroo the opposite way from the trend with a few things (like DPI no longer an auto 1st down, among others.)