The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

I was watching my daughter's 12U softball game this weekend that went into international rules for extra innings. The last out for the other team was the pitcher and that team wanted to start the inning with a courtesy runner (rocket butt) on second instead of the pitcher (molasses). The umpires allowed it. Correct?

Thanks, Stan
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
I was watching my daughter's 12U softball game this weekend that went into international rules for extra innings. The last out for the other team was the pitcher and that team wanted to start the inning with a courtesy runner (rocket butt) on second instead of the pitcher (molasses). The umpires allowed it. Correct?

Thanks, Stan
Yep.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, thanks for clearing that up. Stan
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Stan, why wouldn't it be legal? If the last out is still the pitcher, she qualifies for the CR. Were you thinking of something in particular?
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
Stan, why wouldn't it be legal? If the last out is still the pitcher, she qualifies for the CR. Were you thinking of something in particular?
"THE TIE WILL BE DECIDED BY INTERNATIONAL RULES" sounds a bit mysterious. NBD, Tex. I've never seen the international rules and the the pitcher thing at the same time, thought I'd ask the guys that know. I ref basketball, we just give them a few more minutes on the clock and let'em go.

Thanks for asking, Stan
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

International Tie Breaker...be careful stating the runner on second would be the "last out" in the previous inning...that can get you into some trouble by placing the incorrect runner on base

What you want is the player scheduled to bat last in that respective half inning being placed on second base (e.g. if the number five batter is the lead off batter, the number four batter in the batting order will be placed on scond base.)

And yes, substitution and "proper" couresty runners are allowed.

See ASA rule 5 - 11 Tie-Breaker Rule.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LT

See ASA rule 5 - 11 Tie-Breaker Rule.
I can see now that I'm going to have to buy a rule book to watch my daughter play softball.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

But just a suggestion...don't bring it to the field...keep it in the car or at home to read after the game.

Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA...

"International" Tie Breaker is a colloquialism. It is properly called just the Tie Breaker Rule.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Of course, the NFHS rules say the pitcher or catcher must bat and reach base legally (or earn their way on base) to be eligible for a CR.
That sounds like no CR in an TBR situation.

But then, I've wondered how F1 or F2 can "earn their way on base" in a way that is not legal.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA...

Rule 8...Section 10 A.
"The team at bat may use a courtesy runner for the pitcher and/or the catcher any time."

Speaking FED...
Rule 8...Section 9..Article 2...we have a new phrase this year as stated by CecilOne
"The pitcher or catcher must bat and reach base legally (or earn their way on base) in order to be eligible for a courtesy runner."

Looks like no courtesy runner with that description and the FED rule for Tie-Breaker allows lots of variance per state:

Tie-Breaker Procedure for FED..Rule 4...Section 2...Article 6
"By state association adoption, a tie-breaker procedure may be instituted at a point in the game specified by the state association."

I think if put in that situation in a FED game, I just might have allowed a courtesy runner for pitcher or catcher...hummmmmm....learning something each day.