The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Talking

Visitor down by 4, makes a goal, so now Home is up by 2 points. 2.7 sec left on clock in 4Q. Home takes ball out, no one in backcourt, baseball pass throw-in to H1 straddling the div.line, H1 sprints through his backcourt to VISITOR's basket and dunks it hard to TIE IT UP!

Crowd's wild. Home bench embarrassed. Visitors bench in shock. Home Coach says, thought he was just running in backcourt to run the clock. Ref says, Wanted to T-up H1 for 'taunting' because of how hard he dunked, but realized he was 'taunting' his own team.

In the end, Home wins in 3OT. H1 was a major contributor to the win (and the tie)...hehe

Anything like this happen to you...???
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
something about this play just doesnt seem right.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 11:02pm
Ref Ump Welsch

What doesn't seem right is H1 got lost on the floor and went the wrong way. Although, from the description, I wonder if there wasn't an over and back call missed. Enlighten us please!
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
What doesn't seem right is H1 got lost on the floor and went the wrong way. Although, from the description, I wonder if there wasn't an over and back call missed. Enlighten us please!
Of course I wasn't there but from what I read H1 gains control in his BC (straddling the div line) and then hightails it into his own BC for the monster slam (ACCCK! BI alert! BI alert!)
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Of course I wasn't there but from what I read H1 gains control in his BC (straddling the div line) and then hightails it into his own BC for the monster slam (ACCCK! BI alert! BI alert!)
Sorry about the confusion, but yes, Dan is correct, BC has NOT been established because of "straddling the div line"
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

I have had that happen a few times except in every instance H1 (or A1) is in their frontcourt and I have an over and back as they race to their opponets basket, which saves them scoring for the other team and a lot less emberassed.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
(ACCCK! BI alert! BI alert!)
Wow. Great catch. Not sure I'd process it that fast!
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
(ACCCK! BI alert! BI alert!)
Wow. Great catch. Not sure I'd process it that fast!
Good thought guys, but I don't think it applies. 9-11 exception doesn't differentiate between baskets for BI..allthough it would be nice if it did....It might save some kid the embarassment, or at least maybe keep him from losing the game LOL
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
9-11 exception doesn't differentiate between baskets for BI..allthough it would be nice if it did....
Yup, good point. I wonder if it makes any difference in NCAA rules, since a dunk is defined as a try. . . Gotta dig the book out of my bag.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
9-11 exception doesn't differentiate between baskets for BI..allthough it would be nice if it did....
Yup, good point. I wonder if it makes any difference in NCAA rules, since a dunk is defined as a try. . . Gotta dig the book out of my bag.
It's in there somewhere...look under last years schedule next to that old pop tart.

Anyway, dunk is a try but a try must be at the proper basket so the dunk exception for BI does not apply, IMO. Of course this only matters if the kid misses the dunk and you would then have the pleasure of blowing the whistle & awarding 2 points, adding insult to injury.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Dan, are you talking about NHFS or NCAA rules??
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Gotta dig the book out of my bag.
It's in there somewhere...look under last years schedule next to that old pop tart.

There might be a Pop Tart wrapper in there, but the Pop Tarts themselves never last too long in my company

Quote:
Anyway, dunk is a try but a try must be at the proper basket so the dunk exception for BI does not apply, IMO.
Yup, you're right again. Either BI doesn't apply, so the dunk counts for 2 points; or BI does apply, so the 2 points is awarded b/c BI was committed by the defense (or at least, it was committed "at the opponents' basket"). Either way, the hoop still counts.

Never mind about checking the book
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NCAA but since my fed book is under the pop tart in *my* bag I'll ask what they say on this.

BTW, in NCAA the word "try" is not in the dunk definition but later in rule 4 under try they say a dunk is a try.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
NCAA but since my fed book is under the pop tart in *my* bag I'll ask what they say on this.

BTW, in NCAA the word "try" is not in the dunk definition but later in rule 4 under try they say a dunk is a try.
Basket ineterference occurs when....

9-11-1 a player touches the ball or basket,(including the net), when the ball is on or withing either basket.
9-11-2 a player touches the ball when it is touching the cylinder having the ring as its lower base

exception: In articles 1 or 2, if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters a basket cylinder or if in such action , the player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legas and is not basket interference.

So by fed rules BI is not an issue, but the dunk counts, I do however have to agree that if he misses the dunk and interferes from then on with the cylinder that oops BI.. that would be even more embarassing hu LOL
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
So by fed rules BI is not an issue, but the dunk counts, I do however have to agree that if he misses the dunk and interferes from then on with the cylinder that oops BI.. that would be even more embarassing hu LOL

[/B][/QUOTE]Why isn't BI an issue in FED rules? Attempting a dunk on your opponent's basket isn't a try by definition(R4-40-2). Therefore, in this case as soon as the ball is in the cylinder with the hand touching it, you have BI as per R9-11-2.