The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Overtime

In a varsity game Overtime is 4 minutes in length. According to the rule book (NF) games below varsity are to play half of their quarter. In Pennsylvania I have always seen 3 minute overtimes in sub-varsity games however according to NF rules this would be incorrect for JV and 9th grade games. They should be 3:30 because of using a 7 minute quarter. Has there ever been any information from the state about making it 3 or is it just done incorrectly. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
In a varsity game Overtime is 4 minutes in length. According to the rule book (NF) games below varsity are to play half of their quarter. In Pennsylvania I have always seen 3 minute overtimes in sub-varsity games however according to NF rules this would be incorrect for JV and 9th grade games. They should be 3:30 because of using a 7 minute quarter. Has there ever been any information from the state about making it 3 or is it just done incorrectly. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
Most likely it's directed by the state you go with 3 minutes.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm from Indiana so our sub varsity games all have 6 minute quarters. We don't have to worry about your OP.

There was some discussion in regards to your question on a thread yesterday...

do we reset the clock
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks
Maybe it's being done under the "a quarter can be shortened by the mutual agreement of the coaches" rule
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

PIAAREF, our district interpreter here in northwestern PA instructed me personally that a JV overtime (for 7-minute regulation quarters) was to be 3 minutes long. Not sure where he got the information from, but it was made clear that JV and other subvarsity games use 3-minute overtime periods.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks
I'm afraid you're mistaken. That's not what the rule book says. The rule book says that the playing time for games for HIGH SCHOOL AGE players is 8 minutes. It says nothing about varsity or junior varsity. HS is 9th to 12th grade.

Below 9th grade plays 6 minute quarters, which result in a 3 minute OT.

So there is no NFHS rule that calls for 7 minute quarters. If that's being done, then the PIAA is doing it. And if they're doing that, I guess they can make whatever decision they want about OT.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Jan 09, 2008 at 10:57pm.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
HS is 9th to 12th grade.

Below 9th grade plays 6 minute quarters, which result in a 3 minute OT.

So there is no NFHS rule that calls for 7 minute quarters. If that's being done, then the PIAA is doing it. And if they're doing that, I guess they can make whatever decision they want about OT.
It got to be the guidance given by the state. In my area 9th grade is 7 minutes. state by-law; with overtime being 2 minutes for all games played in less than eight minute quarters.

So, maybe the state have a by-law governing this.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 12:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here, all hs games are 8 minute quarters. Back in Iowa, JV games were 7 and ms games were 6. Here, ms games are 9 minute running clock quarters. AAU games are ms and 8 minutes quarters.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 09:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Here it's done on a conference by conference basis. I don't work subvarsity anymore, so all I know is I'm thrilled when they play 7 minute quarters as we usually start on time.

Always 4 minutes for OT here in HS games. The state really laid into the officials last year when they put 5 minutes on the clock in (I believe) a playoff game.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
The state really laid into the officials last year when they put 5 minutes on the clock in (I believe) a playoff game.
Ouch....details??
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
The state really laid into the officials last year when they put 5 minutes on the clock in (I believe) a playoff game.
And justly so. That's inexcusable for postseason officials.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
And justly so. That's inexcusable for postseason officials.
No argument from me. Some officials don't want to discuss overtime, but overtime procedures are part of my standard pregame in basketball and in football. If we don't cover it then and the game is close, we cover it at halftime.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
Ouch....details??
Don't have them, but usually word of mouth like this is accurate. I just shook my head.

It may just as well have been late in the regular season, but I think it was in an early round of the postseason.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

I was once told that "good officials" never let it go to OT. I guess I am not a good official.