The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

What would make you quit?

I'm talking about situations on the field or directly relating to what we do -- not necessarily family situations. I'm preparing some training and want to do some research on certain topics - and this is one of them. All of us have a breaking point somewhere and I'd like to know what some of those points are.

For me -- I honestly couldn't say right now. My wife has never hinted that my schedule bothers her and there's no other family issues. I've had friends quit because they didn't want to take any more abuse. What about pay? Injury? Time involvement? Whatever.

Thanks for any responses.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 03:13am
Do not give a damn!!

I guess there are all kinds of things with my family that would make me quit on some level. But the only think right now I can think of is if there is a health or injury situation that would make me reevaluate my abilty to keep up with the game. Otherwise, there really is nothing that would make me quit on the surface. Life could change that, but I just do not see it other then what I stated.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 08:06am
Chain of Fools

I'm with Jeff. I am at a point in my career where I am comfortable with my knowledge of the rules and my relationships with coaches so there isn't much I can foresee that would make me throw in the towel at this point.

Giving up youth football sometime ago, the danger of issues flaring up from that are gone. I worked my state final last December and the state all-star game in 2010 so those bucket list items are checked off.

My son is currently playing JV's so I've already had to amend my scheduling. I am taking that opportunity to make the next step in officiating and am working as the R in middle school games so I can still work at 5:00 and go see him at 7:00. If/when he plays varsity, I know that there will be a couple of years where I am working little to no Friday nights.

This is my 20th season and 15th as a varsity official. I turned 50 in July. I would hope to get 10 more seasons in to give me 25 years at 60 years of age. My thinking is that will be a nice round set of numbers to go out on, provided my health allows it.

My remaining goals would be to make varsity white hat and work the Shrine Bowl before hanging them up.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

The good ole boy network. Advancement due to who you know, not how good you are.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 09:30am
Archaic Power Monger

For me, it is the system we work under which is what Mike alluded to. It is a case of the inmates running the asylum.

I've been on the cusp the last couple of seasons of calling it a career and just spending more time with my family due to some of the garbage we have to deal with including our crew not able to get games for not knowing the right coaches. Our system encourages the ignoring of bad behavior from coaches, skewed calling of games for fear of not getting picked for games and many other things that go contrary to how I believe games should be called, especially at the high school level.

In essence, officiating in this area leaves me feeling that we are the necessary evil that must be tolerated but only if the coaches and ADs get their way.

The straw that nearly broke the camel's back for me was a JV game our crew had this year where I flagged an illegal block below the waist. The HC lost his marbles, screaming at me and would not calm down. I flagged him for UNS and my white hat picked up my flag and then basically went over and kissed the coach's ass. That was the closest I've ever been to just walking off of the field.

The discussion in the locker room was interesting to say the least but this situation is completely indicative of what many crews, especially not established ones, go through. I'm about sick of playing this game.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 09:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

I still have goals to fulfill in all three sports I work. I can't see me packing it in (unless there's some unforeseen health issues) otherwise. Once I meet those goals, I'm guessing I'll set other goals.

That said, when I do have a night off, I used to wish I was out working somewhere. That's rarely my feeling anymore -- I usually treasure the free time I can spend at home and with my family.

And Welpe, I am a white hat and, IMO, that WH overstepped his authority. I would never, *never* "pick up" a UNS flag thrown by a crew member. I simply feel I don't have the authority to do so. Why would he feel like he does?
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 10:01am
TODO: creative title here

Reasons I'll eventually give it up, in no particular order:
  • Health/Mobility issues that make it difficult to get to the right position anymore.
  • Family situation changing such that I can't be away from them for the length of time needed to officiate a game.
  • I stop having fun when I'm on the field/court/diamond.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
  • Health/Mobility issues that make it difficult to get to the right position anymore.
This is one that I think too many officials don't take into consideration early enough in their career. And it's not just physical abilities either. Even good officials simply start making mental mistakes as they get older that they would not have made previously.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Health issues and losing the joy of working the game.

Those are my top two as I have no other issues that concern me at this time.

VA-Blu

Last edited by VA-Blu; Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 06:40am.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

When there's no more good looking moms in the stands.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

In the same boat as a lot of you and our crew actually talked about this after our last playoff game of the year here a week ago. I thought about throwing this thread out there myself.

I'll preface a bit. I'm 45, with 70 year old knees...lost all 3 ligaments in my right knee in 2000 in a freak injury. Recovered from that well and I am active to the point my ortho told me to take it a little easier. My left knee is actually worse than the right at this point. I get up and down and out of the way as good as I always did...just pay for it more now.

I've worked with the same Friday night crew for 10 or 11 years where I primarily U but work the WH on a handful of our contests as needed. I WH with another crew for JV/FR games and these were the guys that I've worked with for over 15 years. This year, we weeded out youth football commitments and we also decided to back down on the number of commitments we did for JV/FR.

Since scaling our schedule back, the games have become more fun, we're more fresh, and I think we do a better job over the course of the year. I see so many guys or crews working games and you can sense the real reason they're there is to burn thru it, get paid, and get out of Dodge. 2 guys on my V crew are going so hard....I'm not sure how they even do it. I've never looked at it like that...even when I needed the money.

I have watched the coaching at all levels really turn a 180 from when I was younger and even from when I started officiating. Working those youth games especially, where every parent/coach or fan in the stands pretending to be the next Lombardi or thinks their kid is the next Peyton Manning can be tasking at times....you guys all know that. It's really gotten ridiculous in the last 5 years though. I don't miss any of that, and I have more respect for the wings than I did early on. Not sure how some of you guys do it.

"The HC lost his marbles, screaming at me and would not calm down. I flagged him for UNS and my white hat picked up my flag and then basically went over and kissed the coach's ass. That was the closest I've ever been to just walking off of the field."
That may have been the last gasp with that crew...at least that WH. Simply a case of a CC caring more about his rating than the integrity of his crew or the game. I bet that HC went ape$*** the rest of the game afterward too, knowing he had already set the table with no recourse. Asinine.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 12:03pm.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:44pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Reasons I'll eventually give it up, in no particular order:
  • Family situation changing such that I can't be away from them for the length of time needed to officiate a game.
  • I stop having fun when I'm on the field/court/diamond.
Agree with all three.

I gave up basketball this season for reasons 1 & 3. I think I still have a few more football seasons left, & I'll try to work baseball for as long as I possibly can.

Fortunately, I have good friends in each group that wouldn't hesitate to tell me if I'm dragging them down.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

The #1 reason for me is the playoff assignment system. It's a coach vote system which tends to benefit crews who know a lot of coaches. It's not really and old boys network because nobody is getting together to decide who gets the assignments. The state just takes the numbers based on the coach vote and the more votes you get the more likely your score is high (any coach can vote for any crew). The last couple years there have been major errors with following the process which has also frustrated a lot of officials.

I've been working small college ball so it has crossed my mind to not play the game any longer and just focus on college football. My wife would appreciate the extra time I'd have at home as well.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

I echo what most have said. I have been doing football since 1983, right out of college, worked college (D2) for several years and now just High School.

One of the thoughts that came to mind is that as fortunate as I am to have worked numerous playoffs and finals games already at the young age of 52, I realize that I want some younger officials, (good ones mind you) to be able to work big games and especially a championship game. I know that as long as me and a couple other guys hang around we will be the ones blessed to get the call to do the big games... and, of course we are not going to turn those games down.

So, that's a long winded way of saying that I could see myself hanging up my whistle in the near future to move onto other things and to give younger guys a chance to move up and enjoy the thrill of those big games.

I've seen too many officials, good and bad, hang around a few years too long...I don't want to be one of those. This is a fun hobby, but its just a small piece of what I enjoy in life.
...enjoyed reading all the posts!
Old Fri Nov 15, 2013, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

When it is no longer fun, or the knees give out. Which ever comes first