View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 08:06am
Chain of Fools

I'm with Jeff. I am at a point in my career where I am comfortable with my knowledge of the rules and my relationships with coaches so there isn't much I can foresee that would make me throw in the towel at this point.

Giving up youth football sometime ago, the danger of issues flaring up from that are gone. I worked my state final last December and the state all-star game in 2010 so those bucket list items are checked off.

My son is currently playing JV's so I've already had to amend my scheduling. I am taking that opportunity to make the next step in officiating and am working as the R in middle school games so I can still work at 5:00 and go see him at 7:00. If/when he plays varsity, I know that there will be a couple of years where I am working little to no Friday nights.

This is my 20th season and 15th as a varsity official. I turned 50 in July. I would hope to get 10 more seasons in to give me 25 years at 60 years of age. My thinking is that will be a nice round set of numbers to go out on, provided my health allows it.

My remaining goals would be to make varsity white hat and work the Shrine Bowl before hanging them up.