The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 27, 2002, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

My apologies, I've only posted a few times on this board. I Quit...I'm through with officiating. The league I worked at pays thier umpires 75.00 for a double header. In my mind, that's not enough for the kind of abuse I (and my fellow umpires) are taking. It's not the *****ing and moaning about my calls that I mind so much..I'm not the best umpire, but I try hard and hustle. No, it's the way the coaches talk to their players and spectators about us. It's one thing to disagree with a call, everyone does, no problem, but to keep harping and complaining to others, I think sets a bad expample for the players and spectators. Are these young gals going to go into every game now with the attitude that if the umpire doesn't call something my way, he (she) is a bad ump? Two examples tonight, with your indulgence..R on 1, steals, fielder catches the ball on the 3rd base side, I call the runner safe from my position the the 2nd base side of the picthers mound..***** #1, #2 comes as a fly ball is hit to right, player tags, coach appeals, safe, ***** #2. Then I start hearing the complaints, "no way she could of scored" "his reputation preceeds him" etc, I know umps are not suppossed to have radar, but unfortunately, being a 2nd grade teacher as well, my radar is already highly delveloped and not easily turned off. As I said, I am done umping this league, the 75.00 isn't worth it. I'm going to stick to park district ball, where things are a little more low key. Thanks for your indulgence.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

It sounds like you got stuck with the wannabe league. This is the league with the players that are still developing their skills. The parents and coaches (who are usually parents themselves) see their kids as the second coming of Jenny Finch, Lisa Fernandez, or Dot Richardson - and how dare you call their little darling out.

You probably need to step up a level, or as you suggested - stick strictly to rec ball.

FWIW - There is a PONY qualifier tournament in Westchester this weekend (Sleepy Hollow HS & Devries Field). Should be some good ball.

-Kono
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

NYPDBLUE,

You got my fur ruffled, what type of ball is this??
AA slow pitch?
co-ed?
mens fastpitch?
youth fastpitch?

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

youth (12-14) fastpitch with IHSA rules
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

$75 bucks for a double header??????

Hell..............I would put up with darn near anything for that kind of pay..............

Sorry that you have been catching such grief NYPD........

I generally don't listen to comments from the bleachers..........(I have noticed that some of my Basketball brethren call them "Howler Monkeys"........grin)........but sometimes it is unavoidable........

My guess is that the reason they HAVE to pay so much is that the shenanigans are SOOOOOOO BAD.........

Get your Umpire Association to put some teeth into your contract regarding the league "Controlling" their fans............they need to give "YOU" (the umpire) the ability to have any fan removed who "Interupts the flow of the game".......grin

If the SB Association removes several of "These" fans.......and lays down some severe penalties........then you might wind up with some bearable ball games......

YOU HAVE TO GET YOUR ASSOCIATION TO PLAY HARD BALL WITH THIS BUNCH..............

Good luck............I really do feel for you.........

Joel