Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post

Frankly, I think the concern over the OH law is much ado about nothing.
Agreed....

It has more to do with "training" and return to play procedures/reporting than what's observed on the field.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
The duty to send him out is only kicks in when the official observes the symptoms. (or coach, trainer, doctor, administrator...etc)

What you saw may be different than what an official saw.

In the end, you may be 100% correct that the player was concussed. However you cannot prove what anyone saw with their own eyes.
I'm not trying to prove what they saw. I'm saying that if symptoms of a concussion are apparent from the stands and are not observed by the crew, the term negligence comes to mind. That's not a term you want to hear when you have a legal obligation.

Of course, the greater responsibility under the law would be held by the trainer who saw enough of an apparent concussion symptom to give a concussion assessment yet failed to do his legal duty to prevent the player from returning.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I'm not trying to prove what they saw. I'm saying that if symptoms of a concussion are apparent from the stands and are not observed by the crew, the term negligence comes to mind. That's not a term you want to hear when you have a legal obligation.

Of course, the greater responsibility under the law would be held by the trainer who saw enough of an apparent concussion symptom to give a concussion assessment yet failed to do his legal duty to prevent the player from returning.
I can't see into someone's eyes from the stands.
I can't determine whether or not a player is confused from the stands.
I can't hear whether or not a player says his head hurts from the stands.
I can't hear the doctor or trainers questions from the stands.
I can't hear the answers from the stands

The list goes on.....

No way you are proving negligence from the stands.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

I do not feel the officials are to be held accountable here. I think the RTP protocol is 100% on the head coach of the school that put him back in the game. That is who the memo was sent to basically. He works for the AD and Principal and they are all at fault if this protocol was broken.

http://www.ohsaa.org/medicine/Concus...egulations.pdf

RETURN TO PLAY PROTOCOL
If a student is removed from practice or competition due to a suspected concussion or head injury,
the coach or referee who removes the student shall not permit the student, ON THE SAME DAY THE
STUDENT IS REMOVED, to return to that practice or competition or to participate in any other
practice or competition for which the coach or contest official is responsible. Thereafter, which
means no earlier than the next day, the coach or contest officials shall not permit the student to return
to practice or competition until both of the following conditions are satisfied:
1) The student’s condition is assessed by either of the following:
a. A physician, who is a person authorized under Chapter 4731 of the Ohio
Revised Code (OCR) to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic
medicine or surgery (M.D. or D.O.)
b. Any other licensed health care provider that the school district board of
education or other governing authority of a chartered or non-chartered
nonpublic school, authorizes to assess the student who has been removed
from practice or competition.
2) The student receives written authorization that it is safe for the student to return to
practice or competition from a physician or other licensed health care provider authorized
to grant the clearance. Click here http://ohsaa.org/medicine/AuthorizationToReenter.pdf
to retrieve the OHSAA’s Medical Authorization to Return To Play (RTP) form.

http://www.ohsaa.org/medicine/sports...sion_Resources

Last edited by bigjohn; Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 07:06am.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

http://www.ohsaa.org/medicine/Author...nToReenter.pdf
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.ohsaa.org/members/Memos/2013-08-30.pdf

or maybe not!

3. Concussion:When a player has signs*or*symptoms*of*a*concussion*he*is*suspended*
from*the*game*and*may*not*reenter*the*game.**This* is*based*upon*Ohio*House*Bill*143.**
If*an*Ohio*Team*plays*a*game*in*another*state,*thi s*Rule*applies.**If*an*out*of*state*team*
plays*a*game*in*Ohio,*this*Rule*applies.**This*is* because*it*is*a*state*law*now.*

Go to the 8:25 mark, the hit and then the helmet on the turf caused him to be taken out of the game.

Last edited by bigjohn; Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 01:45pm.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Least appropriate in what respect? All the other people you mention are partial and have a rooting interest in keeping a potentially injured player in the game. The only impartial people on the field are the officials, and the law requires them to err on the side of safety.

That said, I don't like its implementation either. I don't want to defend a bad law, but the problem with it is not its rationale.

As for lawsuits, meh. Ohio's law doesn't increase our risk exposure significantly. When a player gets injured and the parents decide to sue, the lawyers will name every adult within reach: coaches, school administrators, the school board, the state athletic association, the officials on the field, and anyone else they can think of. You throw that stuff at everyone and see where it might stick.
Least appropriate in that we do not know the kid, so we don't have a baseline of knowledge on what "unusual" behavior is. Parents and coaches do have this knowledge. We have not received medical training similar to a trainer or doctor.

The underlying theme of this law is that we can't trust parents, coaches, trainers or doctors to protect our kids; and, therefore, we will put the duty on officials who have no expertise in either (a) the child (b) or concussion.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post

or maybe not!

Go to the 8:25 mark, the hit and then the helmet on the turf caused him to be taken out of the game.

You one-upped Zapruder on this clip.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

only video I could find of the game. It doesn't show the smelling salts.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do trainers even use smelling salts anymore?
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It doesn't show the symptoms or behaviors associated with a concussion either.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

He had to be helped off the field. You think he got hit in the nuts?
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He had to be helped off the field. You think he got hit in the nuts?
I had a guy once taken off the field in a squad after getting hit in the nuts.

If observing from the stands was the criteria, the coaches in the press box would be held responsible observing and identifying the behaviors or symptoms.

They aren't for a reason.......
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

. He was noticeably wobbly after the game as he walked with quarterbacks coach Nes Janiak and his father, boys basketball coach Bob Krizancic, from the field.
“He’s OK. He got a little dinged up,” Trivisonno said of Krizancic. “He played his tail off. He had a great game. (Moeller) didn’t stop him, either.”
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
. He was noticeably wobbly after the game as he walked with quarterbacks coach Nes Janiak and his father, boys basketball coach Bob Krizancic, from the field.
“He’s OK. He got a little dinged up,” Trivisonno said of Krizancic. “He played his tail off. He had a great game. (Moeller) didn’t stop him, either.”
Written by a guy that wasn't on the field.....

Keep trying though, it's entertaining
Closed Thread