The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Concussion Policy

I wanted to get opinions from fellow officials about an issue regarding the concussion policy that happend to my crew this past week. Here's the scenerio:

A trainer from the visiting team turns to my wing and says she thinks #13 of the opposing team may be experiencing signs of a concussion. This is a surprise to us as no official has observed a violent hit or any player with symptoms (ie, dizzy, stumbling, holding their head). My wing informs me of what the trainer said and we move on. I did notice #13 leave the playing field (punt team for the next down) but didn't mention anything to his coach.

What do you think should have happend (if anything)? As a Referee do I need to tell the HC what the opposing trainer told me? Do I need to check out the player myself or take the trainer's word?

There are many things I did not like about the trainer putting her observations on us. As I read the polciy, the officials have to observe the behavior and not some other party. If I removed the player even for one play, then the trainer has affected the game to her team's advantage (perhaps).

I feel like the trainer transfered liability for the player on to us because "she told us" about a posisble concussion. If anything did later happen to the player, she could have said she warned the officials. This set of events did not sit well with me and I'd like your thoughts on how to better handle it next time.

Thanks,

John
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Good question. Since this was the trainer for the opposing team, I would not immediately remove the player. I share your concerns about potential liability in this case. I think that I would:
1. Call the player over to his bench.
2. Tell his head coach what the opposing trainer has said.
3. Report that you had observed no such signs, but you wanted to give the coach the information and allow him to make a decision.

This approach takes action based on the information you received. Since that information is not the kind that triggers our concussion policy, you're not required to send the player off. But it also permits the coach to make a decision of his own about the player.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I like that approach. One question: If I do stop the game to speak with coach, should the player be removed for one play as if he had been injured? Or should we just use an official's time-out for clarification?

the 2nd approach makes sense as I was writing it.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 11:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_faz View Post
I like that approach. One question: If I do stop the game to speak with coach, should the player be removed for one play as if he had been injured? Or should we just use an official's time-out for clarification?

the 2nd approach makes sense as I was writing it.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
This does not fit the policy that we follow. If you did not observe anything, then you have nothing. And I would not do anything until I personally observed the player doing something weird nor has those symptoms from your observations. This is why I hate this rule or the fact that we are responsible for this on some level. Football is a tough game and I am sure players get concussions without us noticing them (and I know they do from my playing experience). I guess you could inform the coach and just let the coach know that you did not observe anything and that you are not requiring the player to sit out. I think that is the most you can do.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'd tell the opposing coach what I heard and would tell the trainer to tell the opposing coach if she was that sure of it. At this point it is out of our hands. I would not ignore it (do nothing) and then later be held liable.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

And I thought, it was only an MD/DO that could make that call!
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawktalk View Post
And I thought, it was only an MD/DO that could make that call!
Depends on the state (at least in other sports).
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Reading this ... if I'm ever a coach, I'm going to encourage my trainer to "notice" the opposing team's best player "looking a little woozy" as often as possible.

Unless opposing trainer was actively helping an injured player for some reason, her input is zero.

West Houston Mike