The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 01, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Concussion Rule in Ohio

http://ohsaa.org/medicine/Concussion...eb2013_PPE.pdf

2. A change in the Return to Play (RTP) Protocol prohibiting any student who has been removed from a
practice or a competition by a coach or a contest official to return to that practice or competition on that
same day. RTP will be permitted thereafter (meaning no earlier than the next day) only with written
authorization by a physician, either an M.D. or D.O. If a Board of Education or other governing board
wishes to authorize another licensed health care provider such as an athletic trainer, to perform this
authorization, the provider must be acting in consultation with a physician (M.D. or D.O), pursuant to a
referral from a physician, in collaboration with a physician, or under the supervision of a physician. A form
for your use has been revised and will be posted on the website and shared with all coaches and officials
when it becomes operational on April 26, 2013.
Old Mon Sep 02, 2013, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Are there any other states where if the officials send a kid off for suspected concussion symptoms he is done for the day?
Old Mon Sep 02, 2013, 12:22pm
Chain of Fools

NCHSAA FAQ
24. Q: In order to participate after a suspected head injury or confirmed concussion, what must happen?

A: Student must be immediately removed from the practice/contest and the school/athletic trainer/physician must follow the Gfeller-Waller Return to Play protocols. The GF-W RTP form must be completed and signed off on by a licensed M.D. or D.O. prior to returning to competition or practice.
Old Mon Sep 02, 2013, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Are there any other states that have enacted this as law like Ohio has?
Old Tue Sep 03, 2013, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

When this rule started I remember California doing the same thing. A new Indiana state law says if the medical person suspects a concussion, he's done for the day regardless if those symptoms go away.

We had a play a couple years ago where our R suspected a concussion and the guy did look to be staggering. Turns out he only lost his mouthpiece and was trying to find it. We had already removed him so he was cleared by their medical professional.

If this had been in California or Ohio he would be done for the day on our error.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

great idea to have people who are not medical professionals, nor familiar with the behaviors of the players making decisions about excluding them from the game. "I don't know your kid, so I don't know how he normally acts. I also, am not a medical professional, but I think he can't play 10% of his season. (1 game) Oh, and by the way, the people that do know your kid (parent, coach) and the medical professionals (doctor, trainer) can do nothing about it.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 06:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
great idea to have people who are not medical professionals, nor familiar with the behaviors of the players making decisions about excluding them from the game. "I don't know your kid, so I don't know how he normally acts. I also, am not a medical professional, but I think he can't play 10% of his season. (1 game) Oh, and by the way, the people that do know your kid (parent, coach) and the medical professionals (doctor, trainer) can do nothing about it.
This opens us up to litigation, IMO. If any of us are slow to pull the trigger, we'll be criticized and maybe sued. If we're quick to pull the trigger, we'll be criticized and maybe even sued.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
great idea to have people who are not medical professionals, nor familiar with the behaviors of the players making decisions about excluding them from the game. "I don't know your kid, so I don't know how he normally acts. I also, am not a medical professional, but I think he can't play 10% of his season. (1 game) Oh, and by the way, the people that do know your kid (yparent, coach) and the medical professionals (doctor, trainer) can do nothing about it.
If a player's normal demeanor is slurred speech, disoriented, confused, etc........then he has no business being out there in the first place. In the unlikely event that this is normal, (it's not normal) the coach should alert us to this prior to the game.
Old Thu Sep 05, 2013, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This opens us up to litigation, IMO. If any of us are slow to pull the trigger, we'll be criticized and maybe sued. If we're quick to pull the trigger, we'll be criticized and maybe even sued.
I don't really think this is an issue, at least in Ohio. No one's asking officials to diagnose anything - all the law says is that if you see signs or symptoms that *may* be consistent with a concussion, hold them out and have them see a qualified medical professional who can clear them. Not same day, admittedly, but it can be as soon as the next day. And the law explicitly offers immunity from liability unless there is willful or wanton misconduct. Doesn't mean you won't get sued but it's a pretty high barrier to beat for judgment.
Old Thu Sep 05, 2013, 09:22am
Official & ***** Member

In our state, we are to remove the player & tell the head coach that we observed signs of possible concussion. After that, it's completely out of our hands.
Old Thu Sep 05, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Of all the following people: parent, doctor, trainer or coach, the official is the least appropriate to decide whether a player can play due to head injury. This might be the single most ridiculous piece of legislation I have ever read. If I am wise enough to overrule a brain surgeon, why am I only making sixty bucks a game?
Old Thu Sep 05, 2013, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

All our state does is ask us to remove players from the game if they have concussion like symptoms. After that, a Medial Health Care Professional makes an evaluation. And those have to be designated by schools by law. And if they feel they do not have issues, they can allow them back in the game. We basically stay out of it other then report the incidents that take place to the State and the schools have to deal with the fall out. BTW, this is also a state law that the IHSA helped come up with so the schools take on the responsiblity legally more then we do.

It must be noted that many concussion symptoms are also symptoms of other things as well. I think Ohio is going to have a lot of kids taken out of games for other symptoms that clearly could be other things if this is on the officials to decide who comes out of the game.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 05, 2013, 01:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
I don't really think this is an issue, at least in Ohio. No one's asking officials to diagnose anything - all the law says is that if you see signs or symptoms that *may* be consistent with a concussion, hold them out and have them see a qualified medical professional who can clear them. Not same day, admittedly, but it can be as soon as the next day. And the law explicitly offers immunity from liability unless there is willful or wanton misconduct. Doesn't mean you won't get sued but it's a pretty high barrier to beat for judgment.
Maybe, but in about five years, I expect there to be some lawsuits (maybe even some successful ones).
Old Thu Sep 05, 2013, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
And there is the rub. Let's take the opinion of the guy who watched a video over the guy who graduated from medical school.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

I guess this is not enforced in State Finals. Mentor QB hit hard in helmet, left very groggy, returned and finished the game.

Mentor 3-2 at Moeller14 5-C. Krizancic rush for 12 yards to the MOELLER2, 1ST DOWN MENTOR (6-Sam Hubhard).
Mentor 1-G at Moeller02 5-C. Krizancic rush for 1 yard to the MOELLER1 (93-Robby Pohlman).
Mentor 2-G at Moeller01 Timeout Mentor, clock 00:52.
Mentor 2-G at Moeller01 40-Eddie Daugherty at QB for Mentor.
Mentor 2-G at Moeller01 44-Alex Mathews rush for loss of 2 yards to the MOELLER3 (11-Chalmer Frueauf;44-Kole Shade).
Mentor 3-G at Moeller03 5-C. Krizancic at QB for Mentor.
Mentor 3-G at Moeller03 5-C. Krizancic pass complete to 40-Eddie Daugherty for 3 yards to the MOELLER0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:44.
39-Mike Muzic kick attempt good.

Last edited by bigjohn; Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 06:15pm.
Closed Thread