The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Rules question

This has happened twice in Cleveland Browns games this season. In the Baltimore game it was third and three from the 11 yard line, Baltimore had the ball, the runner gained 5 yard to the 6, after the play the runner kicked a Browns player, a flag was thrown and the referee, said "after the play , unsportmanlike conduct agains Baltimore,d penalty and then moved the ball from the 6 yard line to the 21 and said first and ten.

In the Washington game it was third and 8 yards, a pass was completed with enough yardage for a first down. After the catch Pierre Garson was penalized for "taunting" The refereee said, "after the play, a 15 yard penalty against the offense for taunting and marched off 15 yards, now first and ten.

My question in both of these instances is, if a first down had been made, and now a penalty is thrown, why would it not be first and 25 yards instead of marking off a 15 yard penalty and then saying first and 10? Needless to say they lose 15 yards either way, but it is MUCH tougher getting a first down after a first and 25 yards, instead of just moving back 15 yards and then claiming first and ten?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 11:35am
Chain of Fools

Not sure about the NFL but the other rule codes eliminated 1st and 25 situations several years ago. Only if the foul is committed once the chains are set is a 1-25 scenario possible now.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

NFL Rule Book (2012)
Rule 14, Section 8

ADVANCE OF NECESSARY LINE FIRST-AND-10
Article 4
After a distance penalty four a foul by the offensive team during a play from scrimmage which results in the ball being in advance of the necessary line, it is a first-and-10 for the offensive team.

Article 4 and 6 also apply to a dead ball foul of the offensive team at the end of a play from scrimmage during which it has been constantly in possession.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 01:04pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuxx69 View Post
My question in both of these instances is, if a first down had been made, and now a penalty is thrown, why would it not be first and 25 yards instead of marking off a 15 yard penalty and then saying first and 10? Needless to say they lose 15 yards either way, but it is MUCH tougher getting a first down after a first and 25 yards, instead of just moving back 15 yards and then claiming first and ten?
You've kinda answered your own question. 1st-and-25 is basically a turnover, since the chances of making a first down are extremely small.

The rulesmakers felt that the loss of 15 yards in field position was penalty enough.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only if the foul is committed once the chains are set is a 1-25 scenario possible now.
Under NCAA rules, its once the ready for play has been blown.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Under NCAA rules, its once the ready for play has been blown.
Which no longer happens unless there is a stoppage for some reason due to the 40 second play clock
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 08:30am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Which no longer happens unless there is a stoppage for some reason due to the 40 second play clock
I don't think there would be a 40 second clock after a penalty enforcement, it would be 25 and an RFP.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
Incorrect. The referee blows the RFP before every single play.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Especially after a first down when he needs to signal the game clock to restart.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 09:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
This is not true under NCAA rules. If the clock is set to 40 and runs automatically, there is no RFP blown.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I don't think there would be a 40 second clock after a penalty enforcement, it would be 25 and an RFP.
Correct but here he was referring to the foul happening after the RFP. The post was stating there isn't a ready for play whistle or signal after the previous play unless there was an official's time out for something.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This is not true under NCAA rules. If the clock is set to 40 and runs automatically, there is no RFP blown.
So if team A sees the ball on the ground with no official over it, they can go snap it?
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
So if team A sees the ball on the ground with no official over it, they can go snap it?
No, but that doesn't mean there's a RFP given. The U spots the football and the R directs the U to move away from the ball at the appropriate time (which varies depending on whether A substitutes). Still, there's no RFP blown.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Especially after a first down when he needs to signal the game clock to restart.
Even then, it's not "technically" a RFP. Ball's spotted, game clock's started, but the 40 second clock is running the entire time. Not what I'd traditionally think of as a RFP.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Even then, it's not "technically" a RFP. Ball's spotted, game clock's started, but the 40 second clock is running the entire time. Not what I'd traditionally think of as a RFP.
While I agree, most of those give the "downward chop" RFP, followed immediately by the "wind the clock" signal.