The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

question about some rules!

I had a couple questions here that I was hoping someone could help me out with! ..my daughter just started playing youth ball; and I played other sports and never got much into basketball. So Im not clear on all the rules, and doing a little bit of learning with her! haha but heres the first question!

If you have the ball and come across halfcourt down to the basket; can the defender lean into you with their shoulder, and the arm pressed into the side of the body as you go down the court? I mean, that is a foul isnt it?

....or, if you just cut off the person and lean into them with your body; totally impeding the progress of the offensive player while you're pushing into them? wouldn't that be a foul too?

..Im just vague on some rules since Im not very basketball smart! haha
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Yes they are fouls as you describe them. You need to remember when you have players who are just starting to learn to play the officials doing the game are probably just starting out too.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner5900 View Post
I had a couple questions here that I was hoping someone could help me out with! ..my daughter just started playing youth ball; and I played other sports and never got much into basketball. So Im not clear on all the rules, and doing a little bit of learning with her! haha but heres the first question!

If you have the ball and come across halfcourt down to the basket; can the defender lean into you with their shoulder, and the arm pressed into the side of the body as you go down the court? I mean, that is a foul isnt it?

....or, if you just cut off the person and lean into them with your body; totally impeding the progress of the offensive player while you're pushing into them? wouldn't that be a foul too?

..Im just vague on some rules since Im not very basketball smart! haha
Both of those questions depend on whether legal guarding position was established, who initiated the contact and whether an advantage was gained.