The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Rules Question ??

Can anyone explain the DP/Flex rule to me in Laymans terms. If so i would greatly appreciate it. The rule book confuses the hell out of me on this. Thanks
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Try this website under Designated Player Rule

Cactus Umpires: High School Umpire Stuff
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosfan View Post
Can anyone explain the DP/Flex rule to me in Laymans terms. If so i would greatly appreciate it. The rule book confuses the hell out of me on this. Thanks

In its very simplist form, the DP plays offense and the FLEX plays defense. As long as each of them are doing their job, everything is great. Now, let us suppose for a minute that the coach tells you they want the FLEX to bat. The ONLY person the FLEX can bat for is the DP. No one else. Since the DP is not doing her job (playing offense), then she is currently not in the game. She does have one re-entry, though, just like any other player. (Or in NCAA, any other starter.)

Does that help?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Keep in mind, that is a very, very cursory version of the rule.

Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Here's something I pulled together from a couple of sources from last summer. I think these should all still be current.

Ted

A definition of the Flex and DP offered by Glenn Colburn, NH ASA Umpire In Chief

About the Twins - You can't have one without the other.

They are like "twins" and they are special. They have very special privileges but not without restrictions.

If the twins are in a game they must be in a starting line-up. If not in starting line-up then you will never have twins in the game. Always check your line-up. If 10, determine which is the hitter.

Each twin has their own position in the line-up.
The DP is the dominant twin... she was born first. She has more privileges.
The DP must play offense to be considered in the game. The DP has not left the game until she leaves her offensive position.
The DP can never play just defense.
The DP can play defense for any of the other nine players in the line-up. (So the twins could be on defense at the same time.)

The FLEX must play defense to be considered in the game. The FLEX has not left the game until she leaves her defensive position.
The FLEX can never play just offense.
The FLEX can only play offense for the DP. (So the twins cannot be on offense at the same time.)

Each twin can leave her position in the line-up and return to that same position one time during the game. (Re-entry).
Each twin may use the other twins spot in the line-up but not at the same time.
Each twin play both offense and defense but they both can't play both at the same time.

Rule 4, Section 3,
D. The DP may be substituted for at any time, by a pinch-hitter, pinch-runner or the FLEX. If the starting DP is replaced on offense by the FLEX, the DP will leave the game. If replaced by a substitute the DP position remains in the line-up. A starting DP may re-enter one time, as long as the DP returns to the original position in the batting order.
1. If replaced by the FLEX, this reduces the number of players from 10 to nine. If the DP does not re-enter, the game may legally end with nine players.
2. If the DP re-enters and the FLEX was batting in the DP’s position, the FLEX can return to the number 10 position and play defense only or leave the game.
E. The DP may play any defensive position. Should the DP play defense for a player other than the one for whom the DP is batting (FLEX), that player will continue to bat but not play defense, and is not considered to have left the game. If the DP plays defense for the FLEX, the FLEX is considered to have left the game. This reduces the number of players from 10 to nine. The FLEX can re-enter the game.
F. The person being batted for (FLEX) may be substituted for at any time, by a legal substitute or the DP for whom the FLEX is playing defense. The FLEX may re-enter the game one time, in the number 10 position or in the DP’s position in the batting order.
G. If returning to the number 10 position, the FLEX will again play defense only but may play any defensive position.
H. If the FLEX returns to the DP’s position, the FLEX will play offense and defense; there will be only nine players in the batting order.
I. Placing the defensive only player (FLEX) into one of the first nine positions for someone other than the original DP is considered an illegal player. The illegal player shall be disqualified. Rule 4 section 7. The FLEX replacing the DP is not considered a substitution for the FLEX. The DP who has left the game, can re-enter the game.

RULES SUPPLEMENT

15. DESIGNATED PLAYER OR DP (Fast Pitch).
The designated player may be listed in any of the nine batting positions in the batting order. The player listed tenth in the batting order plays defense for the DP, but may also play offense for the DP, and is called the FLEX.
A. A designated player (DP) may be used for any defensive player provided it is made known to the plate umpire prior to the start of the game. The DP must be indicated on the line-up card as one of the nine hitters in the batting order.
B. The name of the player for whom the DP is batting, FLEX, must be placed in the tenth position in the batting order.
C. The DP and any substitutes for the DP must remain in the same position in the batting order throughout the game. The FLEX and all substitutes for the FLEX must enter the game in the tenth position in the line-up card.
D. The DP may be substituted for at any time by a pinch hitter or pinch runner. The substitute becomes the DP and has all the options of the DP position. The starting DP and a substitute for the DP may not be in the game at the same time.
E. The FLEX may be substituted for at any time. The substitute becomes the FLEX and has all the options of the FLEX position. The starting FLEX and a substitute for the FLEX may not be in the game at the same time.
F. The starting DP and their substitute may be replaced by the FLEX as a hitter or as a runner. This reduces the number of players in the game from ten to nine. The DP and the FLEX may not be on offense at the same time.
G. The FLEX may be replaced on defense by the DP. This reduces the number of players in the game from ten to nine. The DP and the FLEX may be on defense at the same time.
H. The starting DP may re-enter the game one time, but only in the original DP position in the batting order. If the DP re-enters and the FLEX is batting in the DP position, the FLEX must:
1. Return to the number ten position in the line-up and play defense only. This is not considered to have left the game. Or,
2. Leave the game.
I. The starting FLEX may re-enter the game one time and must:
1. Return to the original FLEX position, tenth in the line-up card, or
2. Take the place of the starting DP in the batting order. If the FLEX re-enters and the DP is playing defense in the FLEX position, the DP must continue to bat in the DP position in the batting order, play offense only or play defense for another player. This is not considered to have left the game.
J. The DP may play defense for any player and at any position. Should the DP play defense for a player other than the FLEX, that position player continues to bat and does not play defense. That player is not considered to have left the game.
K. The role of the DP / FLEX is never terminated. A team may go from ten to nine players and back to ten players any number of times during the game. The game may end with ten or nine players.
L. If the DP replaces the FLEX, or the FLEX replaces the DP, the change must be reported to the umpire. If not reported, the change is treated the same as an unreported substitute.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

hmmm.. I always thought the Twins thing, as confusing as it is to me, was Emily's.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
hmmm.. I always thought the Twins thing, as confusing as it is to me, was Emily's.
I believe you are correct, sir!

Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I believe you are correct, sir!
I had images of the Corsican Brothers during this explanation.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I don't know who Emily is, so don't have the context of what you're suggesting.

Perhaps you're suggesting that Glenn borrowed the concept from this Emily?

Ted
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I don't know who Emily is, so don't have the context of what you're suggesting.

Perhaps you're suggesting that Glenn borrowed the concept from this Emily?

Ted
I cant say for sure but I'm pretty sure he did. I'm not saying thats bad because Emily is as good as they get, I was just giving proper credit for the "twins" analogy.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

New Hampshire ASA Softball

Well, here's where I got it. I'll have to ask Glenn about it next time I see him.

Ted
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Information and associated spins on softball rules are a lot like a good blues tune. No matter who you is playing it, they probably are not the author or first to play it, no matter how original it sound to you.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Mar 11, 2009 at 11:55am.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 10:28am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
The rule book confuses the hell out of me on this.
Hmmmm...I never thought the rule book could do that...I always thought it was the Bible.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
New Hampshire ASA Softball

Well, here's where I got it. I'll have to ask Glenn about it next time I see him.

Ted
This presentation: Lineup Management is where I read the Twins analogy for the first time. A version of this presentation, prepared by Emily Alexander, is, IIRC, at least 5 or 6 years old, maybe older. The discussion of DP/FLEX begins at slide 49.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
The key to understanding it is taking one piece at a time:
- starting lineup requirements
- possible changes for the DP
- possible changes for the FLEX
- when a re-entry is required
- etc.

- or some other breakdown, just not all of it at once.

Walking through some possibilities with an experienced ump is good, too.