The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 09:35am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I honestly think this is a HTBT situation more than anything. Because I do not think he would advocate any movement from the receivers or even line just because they move their arms. We allow so many other movements, unless the movement was jerky or animated, I still cannot see how I would even call this.

Peace
Agree that it's a HTBT situation; however, his words are it's an illegal shift, at least.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

What I think we can agree on, is that I hope we never see this !!!:
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 04:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I could buy a false start (if it is herky, jerky and animated), but not a shift under and circumstances. And a FS would be a stretch for me.

Peace
The NFHS has defined it as a shift when the QB takes his hands and puts them under center. So I could see this defined as a shift, sure.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, which may be minimal, I've now asked 5 FED guys with vastly more FED experience than me, and none of them think this should be illegal as long as it's not done suddenly as if to draw someone off.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 09:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The NFHS has defined it as a shift when the QB takes his hands and puts them under center. So I could see this defined as a shift, sure.
I believe they defined an action to move under the center, not just putting your hands under center.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 08:36am
Medium Kahuna

7.2.7 SITUATION: The quarterback by voice command has signaled his teammates
to assume a set position while he is standing upright behind the center.
The quarterback steps forward and places his hands under the center to receive
the snap: (a) at the instant the snap is made; or (b) which is made after he is
motionless, but prior to one second having elapsed; or (c) which is made after he
is motionless for one second; or (d) which is made after he is motionless for one
second, but while he is stepping backward with one foot as the snap is made.
RULING: In (a), it is illegal motion. In (b), it is an illegal shift. In (c), it is legal. In
(d), it is legal unless a teammate is also in motion at the snap. COMMENT: If the
quarterback drops his hands under the snapper without stepping forward, it is a
shift and not motion
. (2-39; 7-2-6)
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 08:38am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yes it's a shift. But early in the game, I'm talking to the QB rather than flagging this. If it persists, I'll have to get it.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 08:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm just on my first year of football, but I don't see how hand signals constitute a shift.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 09:00am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm just on my first year of football, but I don't see how hand signals constitute a shift.
They don't. Some apparently think that the movement described in the OP is equivalent to the QB dropping under the snapper, which by interpretation IS a shift.

The QB moving his hands under the snapper is a shift because his whole upper body moves and because it's akin to a lineman dropping to a 3-point stance.

The end giving hand signals is not sufficiently similar, IMHO, to be considered a shift.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

They don't?????

Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
They don't?????

Starting to wonder if you even watch football. Thanks for quoting the same rule 3 times now. NO ONE requires WR's arms, head, hands to be completely still. By interpretation, not in "motion" is not the same as "motionless". No one is going to flag a receiver who turns his head to look at the official to make sure he's where he's supposed to be. No one is going to flag a QB for standing upright, signaling to someone, getting right back under center and snapping the ball.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 10:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Starting to wonder if you even watch football. Thanks for quoting the same rule 3 times now. NO ONE requires WR's arms, head, hands to be completely still. By interpretation, not in "motion" is not the same as "motionless". No one is going to flag a receiver who turns his head to look at the official to make sure he's where he's supposed to be. No one is going to flag a QB for standing upright, signaling to someone, getting right back under center and snapping the ball.
Seems to me if one considers this a shift, one would need to consider it a shift when the QB turns his head (without even standing upright) to yell signals.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 12:15pm
Official & ***** Member

BigJohn:

The phrase "remain stationary...for at least one second before the snap" does NOT mean that further motion after the stop is prohibited -- in fact, it's quite common to have a player go in motion after the stop.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Why are we still talking about this? No one is going to change his mind. He'll call it and the rest of us will not.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Ohio State Rules Interpreter Bruce Mauer says.

Check Page 58, Rule 7-2-6: says "without movement of hands". I would probably warn them the first time, then penalize them afterwards, unless they simulated the snap or drew B to encroach. I do not know if I have ever seen that type of mvt with receivers before. The key is they can do it initially, but must remain "without movement" for 1 sec before the snap.

Bruce

then after I pointed out that all had been stationary for 1 second he replied this:

Legal play as long as they all set for 1 second without mvt prior to the snap.

Bruce

So there is the answer in Ohio.

Last edited by bigjohn; Tue Sep 11, 2012 at 01:39pm.