The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

What is with the Fair Catch "Signal" ?

Connecticut scores on a punt return where the reciever put his hand up at the last second.

Was it a fair catch signal?

If not, why not?
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Just saw the same thing in Army at GT. Receiver put his hand up briefly to block the sun, but did not wave it. The BJ killed the play after the catch.

Is that a FC signal?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Never saw the Connecticut one, but the one BktBallRef is talking about should not be called. The B should be talking to the returner about how to signal and how to block the sun and there should be no problem then.

We tell them, to block the sun "have your elbow out and up and don't wave" and to signal FC "have elbow up and locked and wave back and forth." Do that and you will never have a doubt on which is called. The key is NO WAVE for sun and WAVE for the FC.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Connecticut scores on a punt return where the reciever put his hand up at the last second.

Was it a fair catch signal?

If not, why not?
Saw the play on replay. If it wasn't a fair catch signal, then it was an invalid fair catch signal. Would like to hear the explanation.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2
Saw the play on replay. If it wasn't a fair catch signal, then it was an invalid fair catch signal. Would like to hear the explanation.
The explanation from the announcers was that it was an invalid fair catch signal and that the play should have been stopped when the receiver began to run.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 04:24am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Just saw the same thing in Army at GT. Receiver put his hand up briefly to block the sun, but did not wave it. The BJ killed the play after the catch.

Is that a FC signal?
If this is true, then is it s stretch to claim that the officials erred by killing the play? Surely a player is permitted to block the sun from entering his eyes even if he still wishes to advance the ball.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I saw the Connecticut game and can't figure out how the play was not blown dead--either for a fair catch or for the invalid signal. Certainly had nothing to do with the sun since it was pouring rain..and at night!
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I used to worry about this and being able to differentiate the difference between what is an invalid FC signal and what is just a normal motion by the PR with regards to blocking the sun or telling his teammates to get away. Now and for the past couple of years, if I have any question whatsoever, I'm killing it. End of story.

The PR knows the rule (or should) and I'm going to enforce it as such.

To add to this, I also make talking to the PRs during the pre-game warmups. I ask them to show me a valid FC signal and then remind them that if they're blocking the sun, their hand needs to be touching their helmet above the face mask with an elbow locked, and if they're telling their guys to get away from the ball, then it needs to be at or below their waist.

Haven't had any problems or questions since...