The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Good game, where are the good refs

Got to watch one of the top 3 games in the Houston area yesterday. Had to wonder how this disfunctional mess of a crew got this game. If I would have been evaluating, we'd have an A, 2 B's, a D and an F.. with the whitehat getting the D. L was horribly lazy all game, and missed an obvious OPI in the endzone that resulted in a TD --- because he was about 20 yards away from the play (B missed it too, but his angle was such that I can see him missing it - it was obvious from L's angle though).

R announced Illegal participation twice while signalling illegal man downfield - both were illegal substitutions. R got into an argument with U after U (properly) walked off 10 on a hold. R was also slow with the announcement - so after insisting the spot be 2 yards off (an 8 yard penalty) and U placed it there, when R faced the press box to announce the penalty, U put it back in the right place. Right... but tacky and looked awful even to the laypeople sitting around me.

U started about every play WAY too far back, and was on the endline for a goalline play twice. He seemed afraid.

4 of the crew had letters designating their positions, the other did not. Looked bad.

On a non-call of IS when defense called time because their player was going to get off the field, R waited until the clock was done on the TO, and THEN went to talk to the coach who was upset... and then went across the field to talk to the other coach too. Was about a 3 minute timeout.

L kept winding the clock unnecessarily on plays ending inside the numbers ... and on at least one that went right up the middle. L also failed to give a sideline warning or infraction when he crashed into a coach ON the field during a punt return. Big famous title-winning home coach whose fame may have had something to do with it.

All around I was embarrassed that a few around me knew I was an official.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Oh ... forgot one more - twice they gave the ball to the return team at the wrong spot when it was touched by K at 2 different places. Both times they gave it at the first touch, but in both cases the ball was not possessed and moved 2-3 yards toward K's EZ before being touched again - the spot in both cases should have been the 2nd touching spot (which also included possession by K in both cases).

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 06:04pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Oh ... forgot one more - twice they gave the ball to the return team at the wrong spot when it was touched by K at 2 different places. Both times they gave it at the first touch, but in both cases the ball was not possessed and moved 2-3 yards toward K's EZ before being touched again - the spot in both cases should have been the 2nd touching spot (which also included possession by K in both cases).
Hey, first touching is FIRST touching! Ha.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

I'll let the shirt thing go. Could have been a replacement. Although, the crew should have been prepared for this. Last year, my crew carried a pair of knickers just in case even though we wore pants all year long. If something happened late enough to not get everyone informed, and the replacement only had knickers, we were prepared.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your're saying the ball was (for example) illegally touched at the B-5 and then bounced back to the B-10 where it was illegally touched again. After the ball became dead they put it back at the B-5?

This is what happens when you let coaches draft the crews. It's quite likely that the coach for this game had last pick on this week and had to take the crew that hadn't been picked. Perhaps this was the least experienced crew available to pick.

Last edited by JasonTX; Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 09:56pm.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Your're saying the ball was (for example) illegally touched at the B-5 and then bounced back to the B-10 where it was illegally touched again. After the ball became dead they put it back at the B-5?
Yes, exactly. TWICE.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 09:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Placards at the HS level? Really?
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yes sir, this is Texas after all... (Honestly, I see these about a third of the time around here.)

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 12:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Yup approved this year in Texas. A lot of crews around here seem to have gone to them. I really don't see the point.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 12:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Yup approved this year in Texas. A lot of crews around here seem to have gone to them. I really don't see the point.
Next they'll be wearing wide stripes.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 12:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'm sure it's being discussed. Looks like we are going to the 40 second clock next year.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'm sure it's being discussed. Looks like we are going to the 40 second clock next year.
I'm always fascinated with Texas. They always want to be seen as different than the rest of the country, for some reason, when it comes to HS football.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm always fascinated with Texas. They always want to be seen as different than the rest of the country, for some reason, when it comes to HS football.
Football in Texas is a religion. They shut down the whole town for a football game. $60 million dollar high school stadiums that put some NFL stadiums to shame.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 01:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Football in Texas is a religion. They shut down the whole town for a football game. $60 million dollar high school stadiums that put some NFL stadiums to shame.
That's all well and good, but that doesn't mean the officials are any different or better than they are anywhere else. At least from this thread, that seems pretty obvious.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Got to watch one of the top 3 games in the Houston area yesterday. Had to wonder how this disfunctional mess of a crew got this game. If I would have been evaluating, we'd have an A, 2 B's, a D and an F..
Sounds like the LJ got the A!