The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

d pass interferance during punt

a friend told me he was watching an NFL game where dpi was called when the offense was in punt formation. the flag was waved off. the reason was there cannot be dpi when the offense is in punt formation. I am not familiar with pro rules. help please!
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

The defense can block during a punt legally. When they see the punt formation they have no idea that the ball wasn't punted when they see the ball in the air downfield as they were playing as if it was punted so they can't be a fault.

NCAA is similar but it takes more than just being in a punt formation. For NCAA they would have to "simulate" the ball was punted by throwing the ball "high and deep" for there to not be defensive pass interference.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

That isn't exactly true but many actions which would be pass interference during a normal down wouldn't be a foul because of the punt formation. The NCAA also has a similar rule.

Whenever a team presents an apparent punting formation, defensive acts that normally constitute pass
interference are permitted against the end man on the line of scrimmage, or against an eligible receiver
behind the line of scrimmage who is aligned or in motion more than one yard outside the end man on the
line, provided that the acts do not constitute illegal holding. Defensive holding, such as tackling a receiver,
still can be called and result in a five-yard penalty from the previous spot, if accepted. Offensive pass
interference rules still apply.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

To my knowledge there isn't any such rule in NFHS. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Reason I ask is we had this exact situation during a game this year. Punt formation, ball snapped to punter(happened to be qb as well) who threw ball up down the sideline. Ball fell incomplete oob, but there was the possibility that dpi could have been called. Back Judge and HL who had angles on the play chose not to flag it.

Like I said though I was curious if I've missed a case book play or rule that pertains to this situation.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 02:51pm
Chain of Fools

There isn't such a rule in NFHS.

I've seen teams try it (line up in a scrimmage kick formation and throw it high and deep to simulate the punt) but they've not been successful in drawing the DPI the times its been tried.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
There isn't such a rule in NFHS.

I've seen teams try it (line up in a scrimmage kick formation and throw it high and deep to simulate the punt) but they've not been successful in drawing the DPI the times its been tried.
I agree. I had one team try this (coach told us about it before the game and gave me a heads up before the play) but there wasn't contact on the eligible reciever. The coach went nuts telling me he told us about the play. I explained there still has to be contact. As usual I prefer the NCAA rule.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I explained there still has to be contact. As usual I prefer the NCAA rule.
Under the NFHS code, "faceguarding" would still apply, but in this type situation it would likely need to be VERY obvious.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji07 View Post
To my knowledge there isn't any such rule in NFHS. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Reason I ask is we had this exact situation during a game this year. Punt formation, ball snapped to punter(happened to be qb as well) who threw ball up down the sideline. Ball fell incomplete oob, but there was the possibility that dpi could have been called. Back Judge and HL who had angles on the play chose not to flag it.

Like I said though I was curious if I've missed a case book play or rule that pertains to this situation.
There is no such exception to the DPI rules in NFHS.

This type of play was one of the reasons behind the rule change 10, or so, years ago where the pass had to be thrown in the direction of the receiver who is interfered with.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:57pm
Chain of Fools

I HAVE called OPI on it though for one of the downfield A players blocking while the fake punt nee' pass was in the air.

A coach nearly had a stroke.