The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Bears VS. Tampa Sunday 10-24-04
1st play for Bears on offense.
Swing pass type play resulting in a 70 yard touch down.
Play was called back due to an offensive pass interferance call.
The official stated that a reciever had made a block down field prior to the catch.

After reviewing the play I discovered it wasn't actually a forward pass but a latteral or sideways pass to the half back.

Question 1 : Does this finding negate the possibility of making the call for pass interferance or illegal block down field infraction?

Question 2 : Would the play be reviewable in order to establish the absence of a "forward pass" thus overuling the penalty and granting of the touchdown?

Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kbarnett
Bears VS. Tampa Sunday 10-24-04
1st play for Bears on offense.
Swing pass type play resulting in a 70 yard touch down.
Play was called back due to an offensive pass interferance call.
The official stated that a reciever had made a block down field prior to the catch.

After reviewing the play I discovered it wasn't actually a forward pass but a latteral or sideways pass to the half back.

Question 1 : Does this finding negate the possibility of making the call for pass interferance or illegal block down field infraction?

Question 2 : Would the play be reviewable in order to establish the absence of a "forward pass" thus overuling the penalty and granting of the touchdown?

I work NFL rules, and "it is OPI if an offensive player blocks downfield prior to the ball being touched." The rule is 8-2-5C1
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

But if the play wasn't a forward pass. ie.. what if it were a pitch out.. which technically is the same as a lateral or a backword pass.. how could pass interferance possibly apply?

pass interferance on a pitch out prior to the ball being received?

is not a reciever allowed to initiate a block during the pitch out on a running play.

what rule disseminates the difference between what constitutes a pitch vs a lateral vs a backward or sideways pass?

Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

can you paste rule 8-2-5C1 for me to read?

thanks
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

8-2-1 says "PI can only occur when there is a forward pass thrown from behind the LOS. This applies regardless of whether or not the pass crosses the LOS."

8-2-5C1 says "it is OPI if an offensive player blocks downfield prior to the ball being touched."

About it being reviewable or not, I believe it would be, as forward laterals have been reviewed in other situations. I just called my "Bears fan" buddy, and he said he thought it was forward. It was behind the LOS, but that does not matter if it is forward. I didn't see it, but those are the rulings on your question. Hope it helped?

You need a new team if yours is the Bears! Just flipping you some crap on that comment. I'm a dye hard Viking fan here in NW IA.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

thanks
with for the info that;
PI can only occur when there is a forward pass thrown from behind the LOS... key word "forward"

confirms my theory... I appreciate your friends input as well.. the play was never shown again on TV from the QB to HB perspective, it was only replayed showing our wideouts supposed infraction on the opposite side of the field. From the intial live action a question of forward pass wasn't considered, as the flag was not mentioned until after the player scored.

I reviewed the play immediatly via TIVO several times to discover the reciever caught the ball at the same yard marker on the field as the QB had released it. Thus a side ways pass.

I feel the proper use of the replay privilage is becomming increasingly more important in the NFL game as it evident the game is harder for the officials to keep up with.

funny you mention your a Viking fan. I feel our team had a similar no replay brain cramp against the Vikings.
if you remember the play, the Vikings were flagged for pass interferance, after which Mike Tyse, threw an innapropriatly used red flag (and tyraid) claiming that the pass was tipped at the LOS. w/o a replay the officials huddled and decided no interferance due to a tipped ball. the replay on tv clearly showed no tip had occurred yet our coach never demanded a replay which resulted in our loss of 1st down.

As a real fan of a team, you realize the choice of another team is never an option.

I do feel all teams must make an asserted affort to fully utilize the replay priviledge to its fullest, it is another aspect of the game and should be part of the plan.

thanks again
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kbarnett
thanks
with for the info that;
PI can only occur when there is a forward pass thrown from behind the LOS... key word "forward"

confirms my theory... I appreciate your friends input as well.. the play was never shown again on TV from the QB to HB perspective, it was only replayed showing our wideouts supposed infraction on the opposite side of the field. From the intial live action a question of forward pass wasn't considered, as the flag was not mentioned until after the player scored.

I reviewed the play immediatly via TIVO several times to discover the reciever caught the ball at the same yard marker on the field as the QB had released it. Thus a side ways pass.

I feel the proper use of the replay privilage is becomming increasingly more important in the NFL game as it evident the game is harder for the officials to keep up with.

funny you mention your a Viking fan. I feel our team had a similar no replay brain cramp against the Vikings.
if you remember the play, the Vikings were flagged for pass interferance, after which Mike Tyse, threw an innapropriatly used red flag (and tyraid) claiming that the pass was tipped at the LOS. w/o a replay the officials huddled and decided no interferance due to a tipped ball. the replay on tv clearly showed no tip had occurred yet our coach never demanded a replay which resulted in our loss of 1st down.

As a real fan of a team, you realize the choice of another team is never an option.

I do feel all teams must make an asserted affort to fully utilize the replay priviledge to its fullest, it is another aspect of the game and should be part of the plan.

thanks again
Funny enough, I was at the game, sitting next to my Bears buddy. He was going nuts, and I was just laughing. That was a wierd call, to say the least as I "think" one of the "deep" guys said the ball was tipped just before the interference. I was just glad "we" won, cuz it made the 4 hour trip home much more enjoyable for me, and miserable for my buddy with all the crap I gave him.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Even though I think your Coach is a little over zealous (whiney almost) when it comes to these situations, I must admit he is at least aware of the situation and not afraid to use it to his advatange. Better than ours who is oblivious and accepting.

thanks again

Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

If you look in any FB rule book, you will not see the word "lateral".

The pass is either forward, or backward.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

ok chief, so it was a backward pass... and as a backward pass, if not caught is a fumble, and as a backward pass still allows for the reciever, while still behind the LOS, to then attempt a forward pass, there seems to be distinct differences in the rules revolving around backward passes that don't apply to forward passes and visa versa. So, my question.... is the infraction of offensive pass interferance legitimate or even possible, on a play for which never contained a forward pass...