The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
FED Rules - I am in C position

Situation: Bottom 1/2 of the inning. 1 out, R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st. BR hits hard grounder to F6. R1 collides with F6 as ball arrives at F6 glove. R1 is attempting to give F6 the space to field ball, but chooses to go the wrong direction. I call R1 out for interferance, F6 steps back away from the ball, then steps up, picks up the ball and makes a bad throw over F4s head, who is on 2nd, in an attempt to make the out on R2. I call R2 safe.

After the game, my partner and I are doing a post game review, and I pull out my rule book to see if I made the right call. The way I read the dead ball table, I should have ruled an immediate dead ball and had the option of calling R2 out at 2nd base. Am I reading this right or did I make the right call by using the "delayed dead ball"?
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Immediate dead ball. The only inteference in Fed that is delayed is batter inteference with catcher.

You could award the DP if you rule the inteference prevented two outs.

Roger Greene
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Dead Ball Immediately. I cannot think of an Interference that is delayed, other than batter interfering with the catcher on a steal play.

Obstruction calls can be Delayed.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAblue87
Dead Ball Immediately. I cannot think of an Interference that is delayed, other than batter interfering with the catcher on a steal play.

Obstruction calls can be Delayed.
Coach's interference and catcher's interference (referred to as catcher's obstruction in Fed) are also delayed dead ball situations. Also, if an umpire interferes with a catcher attempt to make a throw, no immediate call is made, but it is truly a delayed dead ball situation in that the runner(s) will return if the catcher's attempt is unsuccessful in retiring the runner. If the attempt is successful, the interference is ignored.

Just my opinion,

Freix