The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 22, 2011, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Doesn't that just create a pile of bodies in the middle? I could see that opening up the B gaps, but certainly not the A gaps! Doesn't seem to me that your league rule makes any difference to that tactic. What am I missing?
I am still awaiting an official interpretation for this rule from our league. I will advise the board what they say.

To answer your question, most teams here know that they can simple send the mass through the middle to mess up the kick. We already have two back, so that means the defense will have two unchallenged. I received a PM from one of the members here telling me to get the snap back quicker. Thanks. I'll tell the ten year old to start eating protein bars.

Is it legal to lock legs prior to the snap?
Old Thu Sep 22, 2011, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Is it legal to lock legs prior to the snap?

RULE 7 SECTION 2 ART. 2 . . . The players on each side of and next to the snapper may lock legs with the snapper, but any other A lineman must have each foot outside the closest foot of the player next to him at the snap. A’s players may stand, crouch or kneel.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2011, 09:53am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I will echo ... local rules are made by fools. This one is not horrible, but even as simple as it is, anyone can see the problem it creates.

My favorite from a local league is "Linebackers cannot blitz". Multiple issues with that:

1) No official definition of "linebacker"
2) No rule stating how many linebackers there must be or a maximum on how many linemen there are.
3) What does CANNOT mean. Unable? No... unallowed - ok ...but there's no penalty listed. So what do the officials do? Say, "stop that?" and move on?
4) More importantly, define "blitz" - ask 10 people and you get 10 different answers as to what a "linebacker" may do (again... what's a linebacker ... by rule at least?)

So... undefined players are not allowed to, but not penalized for, doing something equally undefined.
Definitely one of my least favorite rules, along with the "starting backfield must be replaced when leading by over 20 points" rule. How do I know who the "starting backfield" is? Does that include receivers, quarterbacks, running backs, or some combination thereof?

And then there's the "nobody weighing more then X pounds can run the ball" rule. Am I supposed to bring a scale with me to the field?
Old Thu Sep 22, 2011, 10:07am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
And then there's the "nobody weighing more then X pounds can run the ball" rule. Am I supposed to bring a scale with me to the field?
Amen! Every year we get into this with coaches for 6th/7th grade games. (There is a huge coaching turnover at this age for some reason....)

Those 150# or more are supposed to have a white/black stripe on their helmet to let us know. Seems like every season some coach argues with us that a kid is over 150# and doesn't have the stripe. And every season we tell them to bring it up with their league administrator.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2011, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not a "real" football official (baseball and basketball are my sports) but I have refereed a local youth football league for several years now. We have a set weight limit in each division that limits the ball carriers to a certain weight. When the players pick up their equipment at the start of the season, they are weighed and if they are over the limit we put a piece of red duct tape across the back of their helmet. They also wear red mouthpieces instead of black. The "over" players can't line up at any skill positions on offense. (They can be anywhere on defense)

As for the "linebackers can't blitz" rule, we have a set definition of linebackers. Every team has to play a 5-2 defense, so the two middle linebackers can't blitz and neither can anyone in the secondary. As long as they're not moving forward before or on the snap, I don't consider it to be a blitz. May not be how everyone sees it, but it usually works. We don't really have a penalty for it, so it's more of a "knock that off" warning, which has always worked. If they really blitz hard and blow a play up before it has a chance to develop, we will play the down over.

We don't have any type of kicking in our league. Drives start on the 20 yard line and punts are 20 yards. (Field is only 70 yards long) 3rd/4th graders can only line up in certain formations on offense and can't run reverses or halfback passes. 5th/6th graders can line up in pretty much any formation and can run reverses and halfback passes. I'm with you guys in that some local rules are silly, but if you do it right and stay consistent, it can work well.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2011, 11:32am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I'm not a "real" football official (baseball and basketball are my sports) but I have refereed a local youth football league for several years now.
I'll give you credit, zm, you're coming around from your original position on football officials.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Definitely one of my least favorite rules, along with the "starting backfield must be replaced when leading by over 20 points" rule. How do I know who the "starting backfield" is? Does that include receivers, quarterbacks, running backs, or some combination thereof?
That's why AFAIK those rules are not enforced by the game officials. The league has someone else keep track of that who can give a warning, and sanctions are imposed after the game.

It's like if somebody sneaks a ringer into a varsity game. The game officials have nothing to do with that, it's up to the association the schools belong to.
Quote:
That one is enforced by game officials. The overweight players have a strip or "X" of tape on their helmets, and you blow it dead when one of them gets possession of the ball.

Some leagues have weigh-in before the game, and yes, they do bring a scale to the field. Other organiz'ns have weigh-in only once a year, at registr'n.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 02:58pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
That one is enforced by game officials. The overweight players have a strip or "X" of tape on their helmets, and you blow it dead when one of them gets possession of the ball.

Some leagues have weigh-in before the game, and yes, they do bring a scale to the field. Other organiz'ns have weigh-in only once a year, at registr'n.
Perhaps. But we aren't there at the weigh-in. And we aren't there when the tape is (or is not) put on the helmet. If the coach wants to cheat and not put a sticker on the helmet of a big kid, I'm not going to pull out a scale on the field and weight the kid. We can only enforce what we see. And if we see a kid running with no tape/sticker on the helmet and he's bowling people over....shrug.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
Perhaps. But we aren't there at the weigh-in. And we aren't there when the tape is (or is not) put on the helmet. If the coach wants to cheat and not put a sticker on the helmet of a big kid, I'm not going to pull out a scale on the field and weight the kid. We can only enforce what we see. And if we see a kid running with no tape/sticker on the helmet and he's bowling people over....shrug.
I didn't think that when a league made a rule like that that they expected game officials literally to rule on the fact of the player's weight, just to observe what the league mechanics are on designated overweight players. When they tell you how long a period is, they don't expect you to rule independently on the amount of time, but to take for granted whatever the official game clock (if one is provided) says.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 03:49pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
I didn't think that when a league made a rule like that that they expected game officials literally to rule on the fact of the player's weight, just to observe what the league mechanics are on designated overweight players. When they tell you how long a period is, they don't expect you to rule independently on the amount of time, but to take for granted whatever the official game clock (if one is provided) says.
But that's not what happens in the real world. Nobody argues with us blowing a play dead when somebody with a stripe or tape possesses a live ball. As I posted earlier, every single year we get coaches jawing in our ear about how a player is over the weight limit and doesn't have a stripe or tape on their helmet. We shrug, and tell them to take it up with their league administrator.

The irritation comes when coaches, players, and fans expect us to know the weights of the kids and ensure they have their helmet appropriately marked. I've heard parents scream "That kid is over the limit! If that kids hurts my kid, I'm gonna sue you!" It's that kind of crap that makes us hate these rules.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 10:54pm
Chain of Fools

Reason #497 not to work youth football.