Thread: PAT question
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 22, 2011, 09:53am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I will echo ... local rules are made by fools. This one is not horrible, but even as simple as it is, anyone can see the problem it creates.

My favorite from a local league is "Linebackers cannot blitz". Multiple issues with that:

1) No official definition of "linebacker"
2) No rule stating how many linebackers there must be or a maximum on how many linemen there are.
3) What does CANNOT mean. Unable? No... unallowed - ok ...but there's no penalty listed. So what do the officials do? Say, "stop that?" and move on?
4) More importantly, define "blitz" - ask 10 people and you get 10 different answers as to what a "linebacker" may do (again... what's a linebacker ... by rule at least?)

So... undefined players are not allowed to, but not penalized for, doing something equally undefined.
Definitely one of my least favorite rules, along with the "starting backfield must be replaced when leading by over 20 points" rule. How do I know who the "starting backfield" is? Does that include receivers, quarterbacks, running backs, or some combination thereof?

And then there's the "nobody weighing more then X pounds can run the ball" rule. Am I supposed to bring a scale with me to the field?