Thread: PAT question
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 03:49pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I didn't think that when a league made a rule like that that they expected game officials literally to rule on the fact of the player's weight, just to observe what the league mechanics are on designated overweight players. When they tell you how long a period is, they don't expect you to rule independently on the amount of time, but to take for granted whatever the official game clock (if one is provided) says.
But that's not what happens in the real world. Nobody argues with us blowing a play dead when somebody with a stripe or tape possesses a live ball. As I posted earlier, every single year we get coaches jawing in our ear about how a player is over the weight limit and doesn't have a stripe or tape on their helmet. We shrug, and tell them to take it up with their league administrator.

The irritation comes when coaches, players, and fans expect us to know the weights of the kids and ensure they have their helmet appropriately marked. I've heard parents scream "That kid is over the limit! If that kids hurts my kid, I'm gonna sue you!" It's that kind of crap that makes us hate these rules.