The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

NFHS | 2011 NFHS Football Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 3 (9.6.2): K1 free-kicks the ball toward the sideline. R1 runs to a sideline and intentionally steps out of bounds. While R1 is still out of bounds, he intentionally touches the ball as it nears the sideline. The ball is declared dead by the covering official. RULING: Illegal participation by R1. This is not a kick out of bounds as the ball was touched by an R player and the ball became dead when it was touched. (4-3-1; 6-1-8)
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 06:36am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCoach View Post
Ball is kicked near the sideline on a kickoff. The returner before catching the ball has one foot out of bounds and the other foot in-bounds, as soon as he catches and possesses the kicked ball the official blows the play dead. My question is "is ball spotted where caught or is this a out of bounds violation"?
Any help would be appreciated.
CANADIAN RULING:

Not a foul is ball has yet to touch the ground. But the play is blown dead at that spot. If after the ball bounces, Illegal Participation.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

If the ball is inbounds when touched by an R player who is touching oob, the R player is the one who caused the ball to be come dead. R's ball at the spot.
If R while touching oob, reaches oob and touches a kick that has broken the sideline plane, the kicker is the one who caused the ball to become dead. Flag it there and give R their options.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ia-Ref View Post
If the ball is inbounds when touched by an R player who is touching oob, the R player is the one who caused the ball to be come dead. R's ball at the spot.
If R while touching oob, reaches oob and touches a kick that has broken the sideline plane, the kicker is the one who caused the ball to become dead. Flag it there and give R their options.
That's the way we've always enforced, it too. If the ball isn't OOB or hasn't broken the sideline plane, then R caused the ball to go OOB.

Of at least, that's how we've always discussed it. Never seen it happen.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ia-Ref View Post
The situation you describe is one of the reasons for the revision of NF: 9-6-2.

Previously, NF: 2-29-3, "A loose ball is OOB when it touches anything, including a player or game official, that is OOB." Note there is no limitation or restriction as to how or why either the player or official is OOB, and in this situation the ball is clearly a "loose ball" as defined by NF: 2-1-3.

It is NOT THE PLAYER who has caused the ball to become dead, rather that is caused by the loose ball touching a player who is (already) OOB, as defined by NF: 2-29-1. Considering the advantage, subsequently decided to be improper, deliberately creating this ill gotten gain, NF: 9-6-2 was adjusted to prohibit the practice and correct this imbalance.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 02:30pm
Archaic Power Monger

In summary, if R is intentionally out of bounds it is illegal participation. If R is accidentally out of bounds, it is still a free kick out of bounds against K.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
In summary, if R is intentionally out of bounds it is illegal participation. If R is accidentally out of bounds, it is still a free kick out of bounds against K.
So we're decided, then? It's a single penalty for illegal participation, and NOT double fouls for a free kick out of bounds AND illegal participation, followed by re-kicking?

I love finding cans of worms to open.