The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 11:55am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
PS to Mr. Welpe; I've been waiting for a couple of years now for you to mention anything worth learning. All I've noted are your periodic attempts at being a smart-a$$, and even there you're not very creative.
Always must have the last word I see. I've attempted serious discussions numerous times, including my previous post in this thread however your refusal to engage on an intellectual level and instead dismiss those that disagree with you as dopey are duly noted.

I realize it has probably been several years since you last worked a real football game (no being a clock operator does not count), so perhaps it is time for you to quit trying to continue the charade that you actually know what you are talking about?
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Always must have the last word I see. I've attempted serious discussions numerous times, including my previous post in this thread however your refusal to engage on an intellectual level and instead dismiss those that disagree with you as dopey are duly noted.
I must have missed those "attempted serious discussions on an intellectual level". I have no authority to dismiss anything as being "dopey', but I've learned to recognize dopey fairly well.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I realize it has probably been several years since you last worked a real football game (no being a clock operator does not count), so perhaps it is time for you to quit trying to continue the charade that you actually know what you are talking about?
What?!?!? Alf is only a clock operator?!?! No wonder he doesn't understand what we are talking about most of the time. He might be a good clock operator but I've been amazed about his lack of understanding of rules and mechanics, at least compared to other officials. That makes a lot more sense now. I won't be as harsh on him.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
I must have missed those "attempted serious discussions on an intellectual level". I have no authority to dismiss anything as being "dopey', but I've learned to recognize dopey fairly well.
Oddly, it was your own snarky reply to Welpe that prompted his 'teaching a pig to sing' comment.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

As a relatively new wing, you got to get out on the numbers. How else are you going to toss your flag in front of the other wing on a foul?

Only kidding, as I said I am fairly new to the wing position but the benefits of being on the sideline at the snap far out-weigh getting out to the numbers.

It sounds like we all agree except for ajmc.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
As a relatively new wing, you got to get out on the numbers. How else are you going to toss your flag in front of the other wing on a foul?

Only kidding, as I said I am fairly new to the wing position but the benefits of being on the sideline at the snap far out-weigh getting out to the numbers.

It sounds like we all agree except for ajmc.
I just want to be sure I understand you MJ, are you speaking of your experience at the Varsity level, your experience at the sub-Varsity level or your experience at various levels under what might be Pop Warner or "Youth" football? Just wondering if what can be a significant difference in the skill levels and physical capabilities at those levels enter into your benefit analysis.

Does you'r advice relate to all formations, or do you consider exceptions specifically for situations where the ball is snapped from the far hash, and the formation is tight? Does the proximity of the goal line enter into your conclusion? Does the tone and temper of the game up to that point impact your decision as to how close you want to be to the formation you're actually looking at?

It's always interesting to get input from "relatively new wings" about all encompasing mechanics. As you gain more experience you may learn that adapting to what you are actually confronted with offers benefit over a "one size fits all" approach. Then again, maybe you'll be one of those "relatively new officials" who already knows everything and you won't need to keep learning things.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 04:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Then again, maybe you'll be one of those "relatively new officials" who already knows everything and you won't need to keep learning things.
This comment is so hilariously ironic, I wanted to make sure it stood out on its own.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm always willing to be educated, Mike, perhaps you could explain how moving forward a maximum of 18', (the distance from the sidline to the numbers)..
18' huh? A lot of things must be different in your world.
The numbers around here are 9 yards from the sideline.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... angle has nothing to do with anything..
You can't be serious.
This type of statement is the very reason that it is difficult for others to take you seriously when it comes to knowing much of anything about officiating. The mechanics of officiating is all about angles.

40 words... ZERO commas.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
You can't be serious.
This type of statement is the very reason that it is difficult for others to take you seriously when it comes to knowing much of anything about officiating. The mechanics of officiating is all about angles.

40 words... ZERO commas.
You might try reading all that was written so you'd get a more complete understanding of what was said. Perhaps if you actually read the words, rather than just count them along with the commas, your analysis would be of actual value.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then again, maybe you'll be one of those "relatively new officials" who already knows everything and you won't need to keep learning things.
Nope, I don't claim to know it all and never will.