View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 11, 2010, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
As a relatively new wing, you got to get out on the numbers. How else are you going to toss your flag in front of the other wing on a foul?

Only kidding, as I said I am fairly new to the wing position but the benefits of being on the sideline at the snap far out-weigh getting out to the numbers.

It sounds like we all agree except for ajmc.
I just want to be sure I understand you MJ, are you speaking of your experience at the Varsity level, your experience at the sub-Varsity level or your experience at various levels under what might be Pop Warner or "Youth" football? Just wondering if what can be a significant difference in the skill levels and physical capabilities at those levels enter into your benefit analysis.

Does you'r advice relate to all formations, or do you consider exceptions specifically for situations where the ball is snapped from the far hash, and the formation is tight? Does the proximity of the goal line enter into your conclusion? Does the tone and temper of the game up to that point impact your decision as to how close you want to be to the formation you're actually looking at?

It's always interesting to get input from "relatively new wings" about all encompasing mechanics. As you gain more experience you may learn that adapting to what you are actually confronted with offers benefit over a "one size fits all" approach. Then again, maybe you'll be one of those "relatively new officials" who already knows everything and you won't need to keep learning things.