The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen,

Is there a penalty in OBR for a fake tag that deaks a runner into unnecessarily sliding? I'm thinking it's nothing, but can't seem to find a reference to such.

I'm interested in other rules sets too.

CraigD
Israel
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Fake tags are leagal in everything but Federation play.

NF fake tags are obstruction, and it is a warn then eject penalty.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 03:07pm
In Memoriam

Adult OBR.

Had a player fake a tag t'other night at 3B. Runner did not slide and easily scored.

I called time and walked to youthful [19-22] F5 and asked him if that feint was legal in "this league", knowing that most of the players had jobs in the morning.

Grizzled F6 comes over and asks what's up.
I told F6 and he retorted, "He's young."

F5 was straightned out in the dugout during the next 1/2-inning.
mick
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigD
Gentlemen,

Is there a penalty in OBR for a fake tag that deaks a runner into unnecessarily sliding? I'm thinking it's nothing, but can't seem to find a reference to such.

CraigD
Israel
Not a penalty in OBR, but a lot of leagues that play OBR have a rule against such.

I know Dixie Boys/Majors added a rule several years ago, I don't know about the others.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Adult OBR.

Had a player fake a tag t'other night at 3B. Runner did not slide and easily scored.

I called time and walked to youthful [19-22] F5 and asked him if that feint was legal in "this league", knowing that most of the players had jobs in the morning.

mick
Mick,

Sorry, but I don't quite get the point you are trying to make. Are you suggesting that there is no rule against a "fake tag" in OBR leagues, but the guy's teammates let him know that it shouldn't be done in OBR leagues whose players have day jobs?

I had a similar situation a couple nights ago. Nothing was called and the next time up, the offending shortstop took a fastball in the kidney.

CraigD
Israel

Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David B

Not a penalty in OBR, but a lot of leagues that play OBR have a rule against such.

Thanks
David
David,

In the leagues that you mention above, what, if any, is the penalty for applying a fake tag?

CraigD
Israel
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gentlemen,

CraigD
Israel
CraigD

In OBR, a fake tag is legal - Period.

In FED, a fake tag is illegal. (I believe that this also applies to LL also)

Local rules are BS.

Simple, isn't it?
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Mick,

Sorry, but I don't quite get the point you are trying to make. Are you suggesting that there is no rule against a "fake tag" in OBR leagues, but the guy's teammates let him know that it shouldn't be done in OBR leagues whose players have day jobs?

I had a similar situation a couple nights ago. Nothing was called and the next time up, the offending shortstop took a fastball in the kidney.

CraigD
Israel

Craig,

Rules against a "Fake Tag" are put in place for safety reasons so that a player doesn't slide hastily or unnecessarily into a bag and get injured. Hence, the comment about players having day jobs.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F
Craig,

Rules against a "Fake Tag" are put in place for safety reasons so that a player doesn't slide hastily or unnecessarily into a bag and get injured. Hence, the comment about players having day jobs. [/B]
Matthew,

I'm clear on WHY "OBR Leagues" might add such a rule. I was trying to understand Mick's statement, "F5 was straightned out in the dugout during the next 1/2-inning." What happened?

Also, for those "OBR Leagues" that do have a no fake tag rule, what is the penalty? Ejection?

CraigD
Israel
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 07:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Adult OBR.

mick
Mick,

CraigD
Israel

Craig,

Matthew F correctly noted the safety factor.

I do not know of any rule that makes a "fake tag" subject to penalty, not even in this particular local league.
Some local leagues make up local rules (I agree with ozzy6900 that local rules strongly resemble bovine scat.) or may (usually) have an "understanding" (unwritten codes of conduct or unwritten rules of sportsmanship) of what is allowed and what is frowned upon.

Collisions at home plate, verbal abuse and baiting are sometimes considered to be too competitive for some leagues in this area where the players are playing, not for money, but for fun and "bragging rights" (which last about a week after the season).

Because I had not seen many/any fake tags in the league, I questioned the player. I did not warn, nor threaten, that player. I wanted it known that I saw the play, that it didn't look like it followed the philosophy of the league, and that I wanted to understand if it was permitted.

Maybe it went un-noticed, maybe F5 would not have been hit in the ribs. Anyway, that action went away and no escalation was noted.
mick

Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 07:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F
Craig,

Rules against a "Fake Tag" are put in place for safety reasons so that a player doesn't slide hastily or unnecessarily into a bag and get injured. Hence, the comment about players having day jobs.
Matthew,

I'm clear on WHY "OBR Leagues" might add such a rule. I was trying to understand Mick's statement, "F5 was straightned out in the dugout during the next 1/2-inning." What happened?

Also, for those "OBR Leagues" that do have a no fake tag rule, what is the penalty? Ejection?

CraigD
Israel [/B]
CragD,
When the Grizzled F6 came up to bat, he told me that he told F5, "Don't do that anymore!"
mick
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Fake tags in FED and Little League are considered to be obstruction, and are penalized as such.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Thank you, Dave.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley
Fake tags in FED and Little League are considered to be obstruction, and are penalized as such.
In FED you would also give warning and next player on that team is ejected for a fake tag.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley
In FED you would also give warning and next player on that team is ejected for a fake tag.

I was taught the same thing... team warning, then ejection for next offense. My association, because it considered this a safety issue, went so far as to "highly suggest" awarding the next base.

Well, I took a look at the 2005 NFHS Rule Book and I can't find a reference to "warning on the 1st offense and ejecting on subsequent offensives"? Any ideas on where to look? I did find that one of the two case plays that referenced a fake tag mentioned warning the defensive coach.