The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
And just think, had you said, "Be smart guys, if he takes a knee, don't hit him," you could have used a little preventive officiating and prevented a foul where a kid could have been injured for no reason.
He knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Any motard (got called that the other night) could see they were in the "victory" formation. He intentionally went after the guy. It's not my job to prevent stupidity.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Okay. Be sure you pick up your check before you head home.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay. Be sure you pick up your check before you head home.
Boy, you really are hard to get along with. Are you like that all the time, or has somebody made you mad? Life's too short to go around acting like a sm*** a** all the time. Lighten up.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
This is an annual topic.

Some say nothing, some find a way to penalize A, some shut it down anyway, some say "be smart, be cool, if he takes a knee don't hit him, etc."

Then we argue about it.
And I still read most of the posts.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

He is always like that BroKen. He lashes out at me all the time on the NFHS board.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKen62 View Post
Boy, you really are hard to get along with. Are you like that all the time, or has somebody made you mad? Life's too short to go around acting like a sm*** a** all the time. Lighten up.
Sorry I hurt your feelings. But you do have some responsibilities when you step on the field. And if a word to a player or team can do that, there's no reason not to. It's called preventive officiating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
He is always like that BroKen. He lashes out at me all the time on the NFHS board.
Everybody lashes out at you on the NFHS board.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn

Everybody lashes out at you on the NFHS board.

Now Thats Funny.

How about this, I think I picked this up on this forum. What I say when the Offense tells me they are taking a knee, I tell the defense If the QB takes a knee don't hit him, I tell everybody protect yourselves and be smart.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
What I know that you don't is that preventative officiating starts at the initial kickoff, not the last 35 seconds of the game like you think. I also know English..... "that has knows when".... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is that?
Who said anything about waiting until 35 seconds left in the game to get involved.

Anyone worth their salt is talking to the kids (preventative officiating) throughout the game.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Telling me I have work to do is personal. Saying I'm not smart enough is personal.

Despite the fact that two of us who REALLY don't like each other are on different sides of this, the thread had avoided name calling until you chose to pipe in. I assure you that I'm smart enough to know the difference. I also assure you that even at 56-6, I'm not going to tell the players how to play or what to do. ALL I would do is what I described - which, to me, has NEVER backfired on me. However, on at least 2 occasions, taking your advice would have.
And my approach has NEVER backfired.

I didn't know that only you were able to speak your mind.

You don't like me "piping in" ??? Too bad..... Put me on the ignore list.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

How about this scenrio:

YouTube - EL TRYING TO DOWN THE BALL(PENALTY WAVED OFF)

YouTube - MrHeavydutyone's Channel

Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not a coach.

When A tells me they're taking a knee here is what I do.
I get my U's attention and very loudly tell him, "they're taking a knee, my whistle. (I didn't tell the defense anything, but I did tell my U who needs to know what I know) and if anyone else (team B wink, wink) hears, great.
I pinch in about 5 yards closer than my normal spot, when the knee goes down, I get on the whistle heavy and hard, just to make sure action stops. (This is the same whistle I give when QB or HB picks up a bad exchange with a knee on the ground and gets up and starts to run.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 09:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I'm not a coach.

When A tells me they're taking a knee here is what I do.
I get my U's attention and very loudly tell him, "they're taking a knee, my whistle. (I didn't tell the defense anything, but I did tell my U who needs to know what I know) and if anyone else (team B wink, wink) hears, great.
I pinch in about 5 yards closer than my normal spot, when the knee goes down, I get on the whistle heavy and hard, just to make sure action stops. (This is the same whistle I give when QB or HB picks up a bad exchange with a knee on the ground and gets up and starts to run.
That sounds like that is not hard to do. Where did you come up with that?

Peace
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, only "Where's the tee?" is covered in the Case Book. It's covered under Unfair Acts. That rule says the referee can assess whatever penalty he feels equitable.

Officials, evdiently you included, use the same principle to cover the "Wrong ball" play.

So the coach yells, "We're taking a knee," and doesn't.

Please tell me how that's different than yelling "Where's the tee?" or "This isn't our ball!"
It is totally different. Just read the comment at the end of the case play you are talking about.

"Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal."

Where's the tee and wrong ball are illegal because they are actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is a problem and the snap is not imminent. The coach yelling out "we're taking a knee" does not make the defense think the snap is not imminent because of some sort of a problem....in fact it is neither a problem nor making the defense think that the snap is not imminent.

If you are going to try to say that this is covered by unfair acts at least say that it is something not covered under the rules, don't cite a case play which doesn't support your argument.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 12:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
If you are going to try to say that this is covered by unfair acts at least say that it is something not covered under the rules, don't cite a case play which doesn't support your argument.
So you think the rulebook and casebook is going to cover every possible situation that is possible? If that is what you are looking for, then no one should have to say it is not covered in the rulebook. A better response would be that you do not understand the way rules are made and interpreted. Because most situations will never be covered to your liking if you want something to be spelled out in all with all the possibilities. That is why we are asked to make judgments. We all do not have the same judgments.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So you think the rulebook and casebook is going to cover every possible situation that is possible? If that is what you are looking for, then no one should have to say it is not covered in the rulebook. A better response would be that you do not understand the way rules are made and interpreted. Because most situations will never be covered to your liking if you want something to be spelled out in all with all the possibilities. That is why we are asked to make judgments. We all do not have the same judgments.

Peace
Ahh yes, I don't understand how rules are written. Maybe someday I will be intelligent enough to see that the offense trying to make the defense think that there is a problem and that the snap is not imminent is practically the same thing as an official asking the coach of the offense what type of play they will be running and then the offense not running that type of play. Looking back I must have been crazy to think that those were different.

You know that teams run fake kneel down plays, you admitted that you have seen it on the field. You must have seen a muffed snap before. Anything can happen.

It is none of your business to find out what type of play the offense is planning on running. Don't ask anyone. You can probably realize when it may be a kneel down situation and you can probably realize when A is in a kneel down formation. If you need to say something you can tell the players to "be smart" or "protect yourselves". It is not your job to announce anything to the defense before the snap.