The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Post Field Goals and Penalty enforcements

I have multiple questions if you can answer any of these it will be appreciated.

1) Field Goals

If a field goal crosses the goal line and is no good it is a touchback. Rule 8-5-3-a-1 says it is a touchback when any free kick or scrimmage kick:

1. Which is not a scoring attempt or which is a grounded three point field goal attempt, breaks the plane of R's goal line unless R chooses a spot of first touching by K.

Q: What is meant by grounded, does this mean that if the ball is kicked from the ground instead of the a block it can be taken at the spot it was kicked or a touchback? Please help and be very specific with your answer.

Penalty Enforcements.

A)On 3 and 8 from A's 35 A runs for 10 yards. Once the play is dead there is a late hit personal foul on A. Is the resulting enforcement

a) 1 and 10 from A's 30 yd line
b) 1 and 25 at A's 30yd line
c) 4 and 13 from A's 30yd line

B) A's ball 3rd down and goal from B's 9 and there is a personal foul on B after the play. Is it half the distance and 1st down or 4th?

C) A coach is running his mouth too much, is the signal personal foul unsportsmanlike conduct or just a personal foul?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridgway View Post
I have multiple questions if you can answer any of these it will be appreciated.

1) Field Goals

If a field goal crosses the goal line and is no good it is a touchback. Rule 8-5-3-a-1 says it is a touchback when any free kick or scrimmage kick:

1. Which is not a scoring attempt or which is a grounded three point field goal attempt, breaks the plane of R's goal line unless R chooses a spot of first touching by K.

Q: What is meant by grounded, does this mean that if the ball is kicked from the ground instead of the a block it can be taken at the spot it was kicked or a touchback? Please help and be very specific with your answer.

Penalty Enforcements.

A)On 3 and 8 from A's 35 A runs for 10 yards. Once the play is dead there is a late hit personal foul on A. Is the resulting enforcement

B) A's ball 3rd down and goal from B's 9 and there is a personal foul on B after the play. Is it half the distance and 1st down or 4th?

C) A coach is running his mouth too much, is the signal personal foul unsportsmanlike conduct or just a personal foul?

A - c) 4th and 3 from the 30
B - 1/2 the distance and it is 4th down. The only automatic first downs are for roughing (snapper, kicker, holder, and the qb) and defensive pass interference
C - just unsportsmanlike signal

Last edited by footballref; Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 10:34pm.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:

1) Field Goals

A grounded three point field goal attempt is a kicked ball, either off a tee or the ground or a drop kick, that once having been kicked touches the ground without successfully passing through the goal posts.
Quote:
Penalty Enforcements.

I have (a) 1 and 10 from A's 30 yd line

A achieved the yard to gain on the run, which ended at the 45. The down ended with A having the ball beyond the yard to gain so they are awarded a first down. After the play ended, A committed a dead ball foul, which is enforced from the succeeding spot, which is A's 45 yd line. 15 yd penalty brings the ball back to A's 30 where the chains are set for 1st and 10 at the 30 yd line.
Quote:
Dead ball personal foul by B is enforced from the succeeding spot. Previous play had ended and the down counts. I'm assuming that the play that had just ended was third down AND it ended at the 9 yd line. Enforcement is half the distance to the goal, placing the ball at the 4 1/2 yd line and it is fourth down.

Quote:

Just unsportsmanlike. I believe that the personal foul signal is reserved for contact fouls.

Hope I'm correct and it helps.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
A grounded three point field goal attempt is a kicked ball, either off a tee or the ground or a drop kick, that once having been kicked touches the ground without successfully passing through the goal posts.
Right. For the OP: it can't be a grounded kick until it's a kick, so it doesn't matter whether the kicker uses a tee. A kick in flight (not grounded) could score, so that doesn't become dead upon passing the goal line. That one's dead once it scores or is clear it won't score.

Quote:
I have (a) 1 and 10 from A's 30 yd line

A achieved the yard to gain on the run, which ended at the 45. The down ended with A having the ball beyond the yard to gain so they are awarded a first down. After the play ended, A committed a dead ball foul, which is enforced from the succeeding spot, which is A's 45 yd line. 15 yd penalty brings the ball back to A's 30 where the chains are set for 1st and 10 at the 30 yd line.
Also right. Great explanation.

Quote:
Dead ball personal foul by B is enforced from the succeeding spot. Previous play had ended and the down counts. I'm assuming that the play that had just ended was third down AND it ended at the 9 yd line. Enforcement is half the distance to the goal, placing the ball at the 4 1/2 yd line and it is fourth down.
Correct, and I'm curious why anyone would think A gets a first down here? PF in NFHS does not entail an automatic first down. The OP says it was 3rd and goal, so the next down has to be 4th; if the penalty had advanced the ball past the line to gain, that would be a first down for A.

Quote:
Just unsportsmanlike. I believe that the personal foul signal is reserved for contact fouls.

Hope I'm correct and it helps.
Correct again, if you're going to have a flag. I suppose you'd call this a 9-8-1(b) violation, but "running his mouth too much" doesn't entail attempting to influence an official. If I tell him that's enough and he keeps going, is that disrespectful, and so a violation of 9-8-1(c)? Maybe so.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) Field Goals

Q: What is meant by grounded, does this mean that if the ball is kicked from the ground instead of the a block it can be taken at the spot it was kicked or a touchback?
"Grounded" means the kick (or other loose ball) has touched the ground. The kick is a loose ball that begins when the ball is kicked, so it's not referring to how it was teed up.

The reason that "grounded three point field goal attempt" is in there is to avoid the "funny" situation of a dead ball's scoring a field goal.

Quote:
It's a personal foul only if by "running his mouth" you mean biting somebody, because "personal" fouls require contact on a person. Otherwise it's just unsportsmanlike conduct.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

So to verify a couple of things,

If the field goal is incomplete and hits at the 4 yard line and roles dead there it? a) goes back to the spot it was kicked? b) is B's ball at the 4? c) goes back to the spot of the previous snap.

Also does this change if the ball hits at the four then rolls into the endzone?
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So to verify a couple of things,

If the field goal is incomplete and hits at the 4 yard line and roles dead there it? a) goes back to the spot it was kicked? b) is B's ball at the 4? c) goes back to the spot of the previous snap.

Also does this change if the ball hits at the four then rolls into the endzone?
It rolls to the 4 yard line, but is not dead. If no one attempts to get possession of the ball, it will be B's ball, 1st and 10 at the 4. If A gains possession, the down is over and B gets the ball at the spot of first touching. If B gains possession of the kick, the down is still live and B can advance.

If any kick breaks the plane of the goal line, the kick is over and it is a touchback.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaltice View Post
If any kick breaks the plane of the goal line, the kick is over and it is a touchback.
With the already-noted exception of a kick that can score (try or field goal).