View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
A grounded three point field goal attempt is a kicked ball, either off a tee or the ground or a drop kick, that once having been kicked touches the ground without successfully passing through the goal posts.
Right. For the OP: it can't be a grounded kick until it's a kick, so it doesn't matter whether the kicker uses a tee. A kick in flight (not grounded) could score, so that doesn't become dead upon passing the goal line. That one's dead once it scores or is clear it won't score.

Quote:
I have (a) 1 and 10 from A's 30 yd line

A achieved the yard to gain on the run, which ended at the 45. The down ended with A having the ball beyond the yard to gain so they are awarded a first down. After the play ended, A committed a dead ball foul, which is enforced from the succeeding spot, which is A's 45 yd line. 15 yd penalty brings the ball back to A's 30 where the chains are set for 1st and 10 at the 30 yd line.
Also right. Great explanation.

Quote:
Dead ball personal foul by B is enforced from the succeeding spot. Previous play had ended and the down counts. I'm assuming that the play that had just ended was third down AND it ended at the 9 yd line. Enforcement is half the distance to the goal, placing the ball at the 4 1/2 yd line and it is fourth down.
Correct, and I'm curious why anyone would think A gets a first down here? PF in NFHS does not entail an automatic first down. The OP says it was 3rd and goal, so the next down has to be 4th; if the penalty had advanced the ball past the line to gain, that would be a first down for A.

Quote:
Just unsportsmanlike. I believe that the personal foul signal is reserved for contact fouls.

Hope I'm correct and it helps.
Correct again, if you're going to have a flag. I suppose you'd call this a 9-8-1(b) violation, but "running his mouth too much" doesn't entail attempting to influence an official. If I tell him that's enough and he keeps going, is that disrespectful, and so a violation of 9-8-1(c)? Maybe so.