The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Had a kid kick a 54 yarder the other night, no tail wind. What's the longest field goal you've seen kicked in a varsity game?
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Been at this for 2 years now and the next made one I see will be the first.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

And speaking of field goals, has anyone seen a field goal after a fair catch or an awarded fair catch??

I have seen one. NFHS rules...

I think the NFL still has this rule. I believe that the Bears used it to beat the Packers in the early 60's.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Fourth year here, have never seen a free-kick field goal attempt following a fair catch.

Last night, had a JV game. Kid went 3-for-3, including a 47-yarder as time expired in 1st half. And it probably would have been good from 55. I repeat, a JV game.

Trying to think if I have ever had a made FG at any level prior to last night, can't remember any right now.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I was on the field when a 52 or 53 yarder was made last season. Our LJ thought we were kidding when we told him the block was coming out.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TerpZebra
Had a kid kick a 62 or 64 yarder last year in a game. He attempted a 67 in a game a few weeks later I was in; missed it wide left. He had a 67 yarder negated by a penalty later on in the year. He has a great leg, but not as accurate as a coach would like. I believe he is a punter/kicker for FSU now.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

A coach elected to put the ball into play with a free kick in a state championship game here a couple years ago.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

I was back judge last year in a varsity game and A was about 40 yds out on 4th down and I went back for the punt and was totally surprised by a FG attempt. It was far short, but it took me by surprise. I think I was at the goal line when it was kicked. We didn't have a chance of getting 2 guys to the uprights in time.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Wow.

Wonder why there are so many fewer field goals in FED than here in Texas. I know of 1 team that kicks ALL of its extra points and has tried several field goals - and this is 7-8 year old peewee! Almost all teams are kicking field goals by 7th or at the least 8th grade around here.

Longest I've seen attempted was a 54 yarder - it had the distance, but was a shade wide. Longest I've seen made in person was right at 50 - JV team. There's a 9th grade girl that makes them consistently in the low 40's, but I haven't seen her try a longer one.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by l3will
And speaking of field goals, has anyone seen a field goal after a fair catch or an awarded fair catch??

I have seen one. NFHS rules...

I think the NFL still has this rule. I believe that the Bears used it to beat the Packers in the early 60's.
NFL does have the rule and I had my 1st ever this year in a semi-pro game with NFL rules. 72 yarder which was only 2 yards short.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

I had a team try a field goal at the end of a half after a fair catch. You have to help the teams line up because they have no clue!
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JDLJ
I had a team try a field goal at the end of a half after a fair catch. You have to help the teams line up because they have no clue!
REPLY: Alright, no cheating allowed. How do Federation mechanics call for a 5-man crew of officials to line up in such a case?

Hey you...I said no cheating!
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

The U and R are under the bars, every one else as in a regular kickoff. How'd I do?
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by l3will

I had one several years ago. Had the same problem as JDLJ lining up the teams. The crew had a mini conference before we went to positions (not something I cover in pre-game - did it correctly Bob M.).

R's coach called time out twice requesting a conference! He never did understand it. He kept asking ... "And we can't rush the kicker?"

They missed the kick by the way. The TO's probably iced the kicker!
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schwinn
The U and R are under the bars, every one else as in a regular kickoff. How'd I do?
You are kidding, right?