The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Questions came up last night at our high school game in Georgia. With 10 seconds left, we went for a field goal. It was good and we went ahead by 3. If we had missed the field goal on 2nd down, would we have had two more tries on third and fourth down?" If so where would they have spotted the ball? Another question about overtime? What is National Federation's overtime rule?

Thank you in advance for your replies. I am a baseball and softball official, and I do not know many of the football rules.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

No. Unless the kick is blocked and you recover it behind the neutral zone, you only get one shot at it.

OT - Each team has the ball for 4 downs, 1st and goal from the 10. Penalties can change the number of downs and yardage. The defense cannot advance the ball. If they recover it, the offensive team's series is over. Whoever has the most points at the end of the OT wins. If it's tied, we do it again.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

If the missed FG goes into the endzone, it is a touchback. Ball is spotted at the 20. If it does not reach the endzone, it is treated like a punt and the ball is spotted where it stops or at the end of a runback. It cannot be run out of the endzone.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

So there is NO difference between a punt and a kick?

If this is the fact then I have seen this enforced totally wrong in little league.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
So there is NO difference between a punt and a kick?

If this is the fact then I have seen this enforced totally wrong in little league.
For most purposes you can view a field goal as a punt which can score points. They are both scrimmage kicks and so most of the rulings are the same. A punt will have the ball kicked by one player who both controls the ball and kicks it. A field goal will have one player controls it and another player kicks it. Don't get caught up in NCAA or NFL rules on a field goal.

Your little league game may have different rules for field goal plays. They like to make changes like that.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

They brought the ball back to where it was kicked and I was pretty sure that it was suppose to be a touchback.

I ref for the same league and I know there are no changes reguarding scrimmage kicks
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
They brought the ball back to where it was kicked and I was pretty sure that it was suppose to be a touchback.

I ref for the same league and I know there are no changes reguarding scrimmage kicks
Spot of the kick? Somebody had been watching too many Sunday games.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
...... A field goal will have one player controls it and another player kicks it.
### Unless it was a "drop" kick. Anyone seen it attempted?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen a drop kick since the early 70's.

Actually, it's not so hard to do. We did it all the time as kids. It saves a player that can be used for a blocker.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Never seen it in a game, but I remember reading an SI article 15 years ago about a college team that was so bad at blocking that they switched from place kicking to drop kicking for extra points... That freed up the holder to block...

I remember that they had two guys that could drop kick, and each had a 50% success rate...

I've also heard that arena league will give 2 points for a PAT done by drop kick, and 4 for a FG...