The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #46 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Really? Citation, please. "Pulled down" doesn't specifiy a direction no matter how many times you say it.
Your citation can be found in 9-4-3k. It only took two years!

The opponent must be pulled down backward or sideward. Forward is not a HCT.

The rule hasn't changed. It was always supposed to be interpreted this way but thankfully, they've finally clarified it for those who thought "forward" was a foul.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Jul 12, 2012 at 09:17pm.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2012, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
The best piece of advice I ever got was, "People who tell you stories about others, are the people who tell others stories about you." The same applies to those who put words in other's mouths.

As for what other officials might do, all you can control is being the best official YOU can be, and doing what YOU know is right. The best way I've found to answer a question about what might have happened at some other game, is to direct my answer specifically and directly to whatever rule may be involved, rather than any previous play situation.

If you hear an other official offer an interpretation you disagree with, the best you can do is offer a correction. If he refuses to listen, tha's on him. If you don't bother to mention the disagreement, that's on you. You'd be surprised how much you might learn from correcting others whom you "thought" were wrong.
I love this! So true. Great reminder for me and great piece of advice to hold onto when dealing with others.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2012, 09:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Your citation can be found in 9-4-3k. It only took two years!

The opponent must be pulled down backward or sideward. Forward is not a HCT.

The rule hasn't changed. It was always supposed to be interpreted this way but thankfully, they've finally clarified it for those who thought "forward" was a foul.
(Delurking for a moment...)

That doesn't make you right then or me wrong then. It could simply mean that because of discussions like this they went back and decided what they actually wanted to say in the rule / case play. Good for them.

I only do what my superiors tell me, as do you.

(Relurking...)
Old Fri Jul 13, 2012, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

What it means is they clarified the interpretation for those who misunderstood it (meaning your superiors).

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jul 13, 2012, 12:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
(Delurking for a moment...)

That doesn't make you right then or me wrong then. It could simply mean that because of discussions like this they went back and decided what they actually wanted to say in the rule / case play. Good for them.

I only do what my superiors tell me, as do you.

(Relurking...)
Well I the NF felt they had to clarify for your superiors or others like your superiors. In my state this was not an issue and made very clear what the rule meant. But that did not stop people from needing the exact wording in the rulebook or casebook to understand the rule. The problem is the NF did not make it clear as they often do not when they bring a new rule from a different level. After all, the other levels (where this rule came from) was very clear and it was never intended to be a foul for falling forward.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 06:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well I the NF felt they had to clarify for your superiors or others like your superiors. In my state this was not an issue and made very clear what the rule meant. But that did not stop people from needing the exact wording in the rulebook or casebook to understand the rule. The problem is the NF did not make it clear as they often do not when they bring a new rule from a different level. After all, the other levels (where this rule came from) was very clear and it was never intended to be a foul for falling forward.

Peace
As usual, you didn't read clearly. RichMSN never once said it was a foul for *falling* forward. He even posted the case play that exempted the play where the player fell forward.

He said that his supervisors said it was a foul if the player was *pulled* forward. Now you'll explain why I'm wrong and you're not and how I'm the one with a comprehension problem.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 08:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
As usual, you didn't read clearly. RichMSN never once said it was a foul for *falling* forward. He even posted the case play that exempted the play where the player fell forward.

He said that his supervisors said it was a foul if the player was *pulled* forward. Now you'll explain why I'm wrong and you're not and how I'm the one with a comprehension problem.
First off this was a thread that was started almost two years ago.

Secondly I was just commenting on what I did read. I know his supervisor said this as I remember the conversation. Just stating that that interpretation is wrong and always was wrong if you paid any attention to the literature that was out there when the rule was created and since. The problem is it was not in the proper places so that everyone can clearly see. But it did not take a rocket scientist to figure that out either. Also I know Rich a little and I do remember other conversations he has stated bout this. Better yet, read Rich's response in post #9.

I am not explaining why you are wrong, but you do need to get the stick out of your azz. As you have noticed that Rich has not said a single word about this since this thread was reopened. And you were not even a person on this thread at that time. Heck if you paid any attention there was a question about this in post #4 or so by BktBallRef.

And if you also noticed I was really not talking about Rich in this thread. I was making a general statement that even was an issue in my state. Now the NF has seemed to have cleaned this up in their literature and that is a good thing.

I know, I did not read the entire thread.

Oh, Rich is a big boy and I am sure if he has a problem with what I said he will tell me. He does not need your help or any help to tell me or anyone what he feels about something. And unlike you we know each the others real name.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sun Jul 15, 2012 at 08:24pm.