The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Ineligible down field?

So a buddy of mine who is an assistant coach calls me during a game tonight...HS game Fed rules. team A scored a touchdown and on the try they are using the swinging gate... the center/snapper and the QB are in the middle of the field and the rest of the offense is lined up about 15 yrs to the left ( typical swinging gate) what he tells me next is the snapper, snapped the ball to the QB then threw it to the snapper ( yes the snapper after snapping the ball went down field into the endzone to catch the try)

the referee's ruled it a successful try..

I was reading rule 7-5b exception 2.. and to me it seems like there was an Ineligible downfield?

Some one help me out..
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 10:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
team A scored a touchdown and on the try they are using the swinging gate... the center/snapper and the QB are in the middle of the field and the rest of the offense is lined up about 15 yrs to the left ( typical swinging gate) what he tells me next is the snapper, snapped the ball to the QB then threw it to the snapper ( yes the snapper after snapping the ball went down field into the endzone to catch the try)
CANADIAN RULING:

Score 2 points.

The snapper can be anybody: an eligible player or an ineligible player.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
So a buddy of mine who is an assistant coach calls me during a game tonight...HS game Fed rules. team A scored a touchdown and on the try they are using the swinging gate... the center/snapper and the QB are in the middle of the field and the rest of the offense is lined up about 15 yrs to the left ( typical swinging gate) what he tells me next is the snapper, snapped the ball to the QB then threw it to the snapper ( yes the snapper after snapping the ball went down field into the endzone to catch the try)

the referee's ruled it a successful try..

I was reading rule 7-5b exception 2.. and to me it seems like there was an Ineligible downfield?

Some one help me out..
Not if he's on the end of the line, has an eligible number and is not in the game under the numbering exception. Legal play if those conditions are met.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Not if he's on the end of the line, has an eligible number and is not in the game under the numbering exception. Legal play if those conditions are met.
Agree. But it seems there's too many conditions there for most coaches to successfully pull off, and it's usually illegal.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

I've seen it a few times. It's legal under those circumstances.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Seems to me it would be extremely easy to meet those exceptions.