The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Keeping your flag in place

Has anyone ever had trouble with their flag coming loose and even falling out of your waistline during a game?

When I'm moving around on the field, my flag continually works itself loose and if I'm not careful, it will eventually fall out. I end up having to tuck it back in before almost every play which, in my opinion, looks sloppy. I've had a couple of plays where I had to run 40+ yards down field only to look back and see my flag lying on the field 15 yards behind me. Then I get the joy of explaining to the coach and my WH why there's a flag on the play (which we would waive off, of course).

I've experimented around with tucking it in my waist line in a couple different locations, and even tucking it into my compression shorts. But it still works itself loose.

I'm a skinny guy, so I can't use my gut to help hold the flag's ball weight against my belt.

Any suggestions for keeping the flag in place?
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 10:14am
TODO: creative title here

Get a tighter belt.

Or stick the flag in the pocket of your knickers.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 10:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketSidewalk View Post
Has anyone ever had trouble with their flag coming loose and even falling out of your waistline during a game?

When I'm moving around on the field, my flag continually works itself loose and if I'm not careful, it will eventually fall out. I end up having to tuck it back in before almost every play which, in my opinion, looks sloppy. I've had a couple of plays where I had to run 40+ yards down field only to look back and see my flag lying on the field 15 yards behind me. Then I get the joy of explaining to the coach and my WH why there's a flag on the play (which we would waive off, of course).

I've experimented around with tucking it in my waist line in a couple different locations, and even tucking it into my compression shorts. But it still works itself loose.

I'm a skinny guy, so I can't use my gut to help hold the flag's ball weight against my belt.

Beer. Lots and lots of beer. You won't immediately notice a change, but within a season, or two, you should have much less of a problem.

Seriously, though ... I'm a skinny guy, too. However, I don't have a problem to the same degree you do. I, too, have to tuck my flag into my compression shorts. I have to readjust my flag, as well. But only about once or twice a quarter.

Here's some suggestions: Make certain nothing but the ball of the flag is out the top of your knickers. Perhaps you have too much of your flag draped over your belt? Speaking of your belt, tightening it a notch might be a solution. Maybe you can move your flag more out towards your hip so your hip bone can hold it in place better? Or, perhaps you need to buy smaller knickers or tighter compression shorts.

Then again, there's always the beer solution.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I have to where white biker shorts under my knickers to make sure my stripes don't show through. I put the flag in there and leave the weighted end out. Otherwise, just tighten the belt a notch (you do wear a belt, right?)
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:36am
Archaic Power Monger

I wear a hidden tailor flex belt to keep my shirt tucked in and my pants from sliding down. This also helps keep the flag in place.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Just when you thought you had heard it all. Just give me your flag.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

As a back judge I've found that the center weight flag sold by Honigs is just as heavy and carries as much distance as the long toss ball flag. So I've gotten the center weight flag and I stick it in my front pocket. I can get to it quickly and it marks the spot just as well.

I've seen photos of NFL guys hooking their ball flag UNDER their belt. It'll take a longer time for them to tug the flag free, but it isn't going anywhere....
Old Sun Sep 12, 2010, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...my flag continually works itself loose and if I'm not careful, it will eventually fall out.
Since I'm not skinny and a flag in the back pocket type guy, I don't have an answer.

However, I thought it interesting that it falls out and not in. I was a mentor to a new umpire a couple of years ago. He was young, extremely fit weight lifter. His flag fell down his pants leg during one of his first games. (I told him that if he was thin, he should get a size smaller pair of pants and move to another position. )
Old Sun Sep 12, 2010, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFan7 View Post

I've seen photos of NFL guys hooking their ball flag UNDER their belt. It'll take a longer time for them to tug the flag free, but it isn't going anywhere....
This...
Old Sun Sep 12, 2010, 04:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

How hard could it be to just tuck the flag in your pants? Tighten your belt. What else is there to do?

Peace
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Right behind the ball of the flag, I've wound a couple of elastic bands. Kind of a home made ball-type flag. The bands seem to help keep it in place. Before I replace my flag into my pants at the front, I also twist the tail of the flag around and around. That enables me to more easily push the tail of the flag right down into my pants so it stays vertical, only the ball of the flag is showing above the waistband. I wear the flag somewhat to the side so rather than being against soft tissue (my gut!) it is against bone at the top of my hip socket. That seems to help too.
I do wear my belt pretty tight. As with many officials, I wear white compression shorts to stop the stripes showing through and the flag being inside the pants but outside the compression shorts seems to keep it in place pretty well.

Don't recall losing a flag by accident for over 10 years.

If I had a problem with anything, it was beanbags. I now tuck the b/bag behind the belt itself rather than into the pants - it is a little harder to get the bag out, but it stays in place fine.

Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I have the same problem. I have experimented and found that wearing gray sanitary shorts instead of compression shorts under the knickers helps. I also put it more on the side which helps somewhat. I have a bigger problem w microphones. The fly off my belt all night long. Must be the way I run.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

I use the long-toss flags as a WH and have the same problem. I've tried tightening my belt till it hurts - no good. I've thought about putting them back in my pockets.

I just might try putting them more to the side - that just might work, thanks!

BTW - Beer isn't the answer - and I'm in Wisconsin where beer is the answer to almost everything.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Back pocket for 54 years. Nothing showing. Has never jumped out.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I can relate, sort of. Recently I lost a bunch of weight. I went from having little bit of a beer gut to almost nothing. I noticed that until I bought smaller pants and belt my flag would work itself loose and almost fall out about every 3 or 4 plays.

I fixed the problem by buying smaller pants and making sure my belt is tight. Not so tight that I'm uncomfortable, but tight enough to be snug.