The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Ineligible down field? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/59106-ineligible-down-field.html)

Umpmazza Fri Sep 17, 2010 09:10pm

Ineligible down field?

So a buddy of mine who is an assistant coach calls me during a game tonight...HS game Fed rules. team A scored a touchdown and on the try they are using the swinging gate... the center/snapper and the QB are in the middle of the field and the rest of the offense is lined up about 15 yrs to the left ( typical swinging gate) what he tells me next is the snapper, snapped the ball to the QB then threw it to the snapper ( yes the snapper after snapping the ball went down field into the endzone to catch the try)

the referee's ruled it a successful try..

I was reading rule 7-5b exception 2.. and to me it seems like there was an Ineligible downfield?

Some one help me out..

JugglingReferee Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:17pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 692884)
team A scored a touchdown and on the try they are using the swinging gate... the center/snapper and the QB are in the middle of the field and the rest of the offense is lined up about 15 yrs to the left ( typical swinging gate) what he tells me next is the snapper, snapped the ball to the QB then threw it to the snapper ( yes the snapper after snapping the ball went down field into the endzone to catch the try)

CANADIAN RULING:

Score 2 points.

The snapper can be anybody: an eligible player or an ineligible player.

bisonlj Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 692884)
So a buddy of mine who is an assistant coach calls me during a game tonight...HS game Fed rules. team A scored a touchdown and on the try they are using the swinging gate... the center/snapper and the QB are in the middle of the field and the rest of the offense is lined up about 15 yrs to the left ( typical swinging gate) what he tells me next is the snapper, snapped the ball to the QB then threw it to the snapper ( yes the snapper after snapping the ball went down field into the endzone to catch the try)

the referee's ruled it a successful try..

I was reading rule 7-5b exception 2.. and to me it seems like there was an Ineligible downfield?

Some one help me out..

Not if he's on the end of the line, has an eligible number and is not in the game under the numbering exception. Legal play if those conditions are met.

mbyron Sat Sep 18, 2010 05:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 692895)
Not if he's on the end of the line, has an eligible number and is not in the game under the numbering exception. Legal play if those conditions are met.

Agree. But it seems there's too many conditions there for most coaches to successfully pull off, and it's usually illegal. :o

FTVMartin Sat Sep 18, 2010 08:42am

I've seen it a few times. It's legal under those circumstances.

BroKen62 Sat Sep 18, 2010 09:15am

Seems to me it would be extremely easy to meet those exceptions.