The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_faz View Post
What mechanic do you use when a FG is no good and the ball lands in the endzome or past the end line? Do you signal no good first and then the touchback signal? Or do you just signal no good for the FG and then head to the 20 yard line?
If it lands short of the goal line (not in the end zone), we come out and officiate.
If it lands short of the end line (in the endzone), we give the touchback signal.
If it crosses the end line in flight, we give the "no good" signal.

Works for us.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37 View Post
If it lands short of the goal line (not in the end zone), we come out and officiate.
If it lands short of the end line (in the endzone), we give the touchback signal.
If it crosses the end line in flight, we give the "no good" signal.

Works for us.
Sounds right. I don't recall reading this anywhere.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You tell me: When is a try dead?
how bout when it goes flying past (or into) an upright? or when it touches the ground in the endzone (untouched by B beyond the neutral zone).

yes, there could be a hurricane wind out of nowhere that blows it all the way back across the neutral zone. but practically speaking the chances of that happening are negligible. whereas the chances of PAT getting blocked a split second after the umpire blows an inadvertent whistle are not negligible, imo.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
how bout when it goes flying past (or into) an upright? or when it touches the ground in the endzone (untouched by B beyond the neutral zone).

yes, there could be a hurricane wind out of nowhere that blows it all the way back across the neutral zone. but practically speaking the chances of that happening are negligible. whereas the chances of PAT getting blocked a split second after the umpire blows an inadvertent whistle are not negligible, imo.
How can you have an inadvertent whistle on a TRY after it's kicked?
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 12:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_faz View Post
What mechanic do you use when a FG is no good and the ball lands in the endzome or past the end line? Do you signal no good first and then the touchback signal? Or do you just signal no good for the FG and then head to the 20 yard line?
In Illinois you are supposed to do both. Give the "No Good" signal then give the TB signal. And that would be the calling official that gives both, not both officials.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 12:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
You're confusing NCAA rules with NFHS.

In NFHS rules, the try is over as soon as it is obvious the try is not successful or if it scores. For all practical purposes, the try is over once the ball is kicked.

Here in TX, the BJ has the whistle for both the try and for field goals. There is a lot more that can happen on a try in NCAA rules.

Last edited by Welpe; Wed Sep 08, 2010 at 12:20pm.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

ah, yes, my mistake. I'm going off Mass. (NCAA) rules.

carry on....
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKen62 View Post
BJ blows whistle on our crew, but ONLY AFTER he sees it behind the goal line.
That's what we've always done....
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
How can you have an inadvertent whistle on a TRY after it's kicked?
Because technically the ball becomes dead when the whistle blows if it's not already a dead ball by rule. If you blow it when the ball is in flight, the ball becomes dead before it scores the try. That's an argument used by those who oppose the R blowing the whistle as soon as it's kicked. A coach could challenge the application of the rule by saying the whistle blew before the kick was good and he would technically be right.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't get this at all. what happens if it's blocked. does the umpire yell PLAY ON!

I must be missing something:

How much time elapses between the ball being kicked and the ball going thru (or to the side of) the uprights? 1 second? 2 maybe?

And why the urgency to begin with? it's not like PATs are cheap shot hotspots that need to be shut down quickly.

what possible harm can come from waiting 1-2 seconds to make sure the ball is dead?
Wow. I don't do FED, and even I see what you're "missing". Wanna try this one again?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Because technically the ball becomes dead when the whistle blows if it's not already a dead ball by rule. If you blow it when the ball is in flight, the ball becomes dead before it scores the try. That's an argument used by those who oppose the R blowing the whistle as soon as it's kicked. A coach could challenge the application of the rule by saying the whistle blew before the kick was good and he would technically be right.
The bigger issue is that this mechanic sets you up to have an inadvertant whistle on a field goal. The mechanic should be the same for the whistle on a field goal and try. As many are quick to point out when it suits them "the whistle doesn't kill the play". Thus, I don't endorse this mechanic.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Wow. I don't do FED, and even I see what you're "missing". Wanna try this one again?
I pled guilty to not realizing it was FED, but now you've got me confused--again, haha.

My (admittedly irrelevant) point was that the umpire blowing the whistle as soon as the try is kicked could be a recipe for disaster under ncaa rules. Are you saying that's not the case? Or that I'm missing something else.

Little help?