The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Question

I would just like to pose a question for you all.

Do you prefer to use pea whistles (like thunderer) or a Fox 40 style of whistle for Football?

I have heard different schools of thinking on this, and would like to get your opinions. Also another question that kind of goes along those lines would be to ask people if they prefer short whistle blasts (then use your voice to communicate with players) or longer whistles which themselves stop plays? I know that different situations may cause for the later to occur (like knee down or not), but lets start by talking about your basic 2nd quarter 8 minutes left, 3.5 yard scrimmage run, nothing to intricate.. then move into more complex situations.

Thanks ahead of time for your posts, go at it!
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer a fox40 style whistle, my experience with the pea whistle is that the pea gets caught sometimes and the whistle doesn't make any noise. I've heard something about boiling the pea or somthing but I like the fox better, it is also a lot louder then most peas.

Basic whistle is not a short basketball style toot but a little longer than that and that usually stops everything. But them sometimes I use the tweet-tweet-tweet to get attention and stop the play, especially when I feel there might be some extra curricular activity.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Pealess is the way to go. If you don't like the "shrill" of the Fox40, try a Fox Pearl instead. Worked a game recently with 4 guys (including myself) using Fox40's and one guy using an Acme Thunderer, and it was clearly more difficult to hear the guy with the Acme compared to the others.

A short blast will do on most plays. The "funny whistle" (several short blasts in a row) is a great tool, but the "greatness" of this tool is reduced when officials use a funny whistle on regular plays. I know it confuses me when I'm a R, if there are funny whistles without reason. It should be used only when you have a flag or when you need to break something up or otherwise need to get someones attention.

When blowing the ball RFP, I sometimes "extend" the whistle if the stadium is noisy, or when a time-out is over, but a team is not ready. However, when blowing the RFP in a hurry-up, I think one should try to keep it to a short crisp blast, as I want the whistle to end before the ball is snapped.

These were just some thoughts from the top of my head. Any more?
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

If I'm going to R, I go with a quieter whistle than the thunderer or I'm deaf for a day after the game after about 50 RFP whistles. U's like it too. I've tried to get into the habit of moving away from the U before I blow it ready so the U is still speaking to me by game's end.

If I'm on the wing, I go with the thunderer.

I used the fox finger whistle once last year (borrowed) and I kept jamming it into my gum and top lip - it has a "platform" that raises it up higher than I'm used to with my regular finger whistle. I guess I could get used to it in time, but I nearly split my lip a few times.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

i use the fox 40. i only use the fox 40 pearl for hockey. i do not use the pea whistle because it can be confused very easily with the band whistle.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Not good. Then you can't blame the band when you get an IW. Hey, just kidding...never done that.

I use the mini-Fox 40...love it.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Quote:
Originally posted by michaelpr
i use the fox 40. i only use the fox 40 pearl for hockey. i do not use the pea whistle because it can be confused very easily with the band whistle.
What band whistle? Anybody at the game using a whistle stops now or the game continues after they get ejected.
Had a case last year with an afternoon varsity game at a school stadium when I thought one of my crew (a rookie) had blown an IW shortly before the 1st half got over. He said he didn't so I figured it was coming from the stands.
Told the home team head coach to have the guys in the booth have the announcer make a statement about not interfering.
As we're leaving the field at halftime I hear it again. Then realized it was coming from the soccer field right behind the stands.
The soccer coach had the loudest whistle I've ever heard. Had the A.D. take care of that problem.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ABoselli If I'm going to R, I go with a quieter whistle than the thunderer or I'm deaf for a day after the game after about 50 RFP whistles. U's like it too. I've tried to get into the habit of moving away from the U before I blow it ready so the U is still speaking to me by game's end.
I use the thunderer but in order to not turn deaf I turn it upside down before blowing RFP. Helps just a bit.

Bob Mc
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I started using the American Classic a few seasons ago (its made in the USA and you can get it through Honig's). Its a metal whistle that has a rubber pea that seems to prevent sticking. After every game I clean it with Listerine and an old tooth brush. I put a white tip guard on the mouth-piece and keep an extra one in my pocket. It has a nice tone lower than the Fox 40. I use it with a neck lanyard. I think its perfect for high school football crowd sizes.

I also have a Fox 40 finger whistle but I don't use it much. However, if I was in a big stadium I would probably go with the Fox 40 on a neck lanyard with cushioned mouth guard.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

The fox 40 is expected in my association, and long blasts are the norm, unless you need to draw attention to yourself really quick.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all your guy's input.

I have never heard the "Funny whistle" term but I will probably use it in the future.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I wish everyone working R (white hat)
would take ABoselli's advice and take it
easy on the RFP whistle to save the Umpire's
hearing (what is left of it).
I worked with a guy once in CNY and when
he blew his RFP-- that is another frequency
I can't hear !!
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
I started using the American Classic a few seasons ago (its made in the USA and you can get it through Honig's). Its a metal whistle that has a rubber pea that seems to prevent sticking. After every game I clean it with Listerine and an old tooth brush. I put a white tip guard on the mouth-piece and keep an extra one in my pocket. It has a nice tone lower than the Fox 40. I use it with a neck lanyard. I think its perfect for high school football crowd sizes.

I also have a Fox 40 finger whistle but I don't use it much. However, if I was in a big stadium I would probably go with the Fox 40 on a neck lanyard with cushioned mouth guard.
I know a HL that uses the American classic and I would have problems hearing him blow the whistle from only 10 yards away. I'll stick to my Fox 40.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thunderer plastic or metal

TO follow up,

I had a metal thunderer for the first 5-6 years growing up as a child, it was my first whistle when I was about 10 years old.

I have since lost that whistle and gotten many others, including a plastic thunderer. Does anyone like that plastic over the metal?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Plastic is nice, doesn't get cold and you can hold it better with your teeth.