The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Question NFL Rules.. No untimed down ???

Sunday night (9/12). The Cowboys commit a holding penalty on a scoring play on the last timed down of the 4th quarter. The referee declared the game over after signaling the hold on the Cowboys..

On Friday night under NFHS rules would we not have penalized "A" ten yards and replayed the down as an untimed down ? If "B" declined the penalty, the result of the play would be a touchdown and a victory for "A" ....

Correct ??????
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 09:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is the reason we tell newer officials not to watch what happens on Saturday and Sunday and apply it to Friday. This is one of the 300 plus differences between HS and pro football. As a matter of fact under the last two minutes there is a 10 second run off for any offensive penalty (not sure if that applies for a team leading too).

In the HS game this would be an untimed down on the accepted penalty unless it was a LOD component to the foul like IG or illegal forward pass.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 09:37pm
M.A.S.H.

Yes, correct.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
As a matter of fact under the last two minutes there is a 10 second run off for any offensive penalty (not sure if that applies for a team leading too).
Not exactly true.

Rule 4, Section 7, Article 1
Actions To Conserve Time

A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by committing any of the following acts:

(a) a foul by either team that prevents the snap (i.e., false start, encroachment, etc.)
(b) intentional grounding
(c) an illegal forward pass thrown from beyond the line of scrimmage
(d) throwing a backwards pass out of bounds
(e) spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play after a down as ended, except after a touchdown; or
(f) any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop

Penalty: For illegally conserving time: loss of five yards unless a larger distance penalty is applicable.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Not exactly true.

Rule 4, Section 7, Article 1
Actions To Conserve Time

A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by committing any of the following acts:

(a) a foul by either team that prevents the snap (i.e., false start, encroachment, etc.)
(b) intentional grounding
(c) an illegal forward pass thrown from beyond the line of scrimmage
(d) throwing a backwards pass out of bounds
(e) spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play after a down as ended, except after a touchdown; or
(f) any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop

Penalty: For illegally conserving time: loss of five yards unless a larger distance penalty is applicable.
Timing has nothing to do with the ruling on this play. Under NFL rules, if the offense scores on the last play of a half but are guilty of a foul on the play, the score is disallowed and the half is over.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 10:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnref View Post
Timing has nothing to do with the ruling on this play. Under NFL rules, if the offense scores on the last play of a half but are guilty of a foul on the play, the score is disallowed and the half is over.
I would not say timing has nothing to do with this. If there was 25 seconds left in the game time would matter and the game would not be over.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would not say timing has nothing to do with this. If there was 25 seconds left in the game time would matter and the game would not be over.

Peace
I said timing has nothing to do with the play in question. If you would look at the original post you will see the question dealt with a play which happened on the last timed down of the 4th quarter. This is what I was responding to.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 10:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I said timing has nothing to do with the play in question. If you would look at the original post you will see the question dealt with a play which happened on the last timed down of the 4th quarter. This is what I was responding to.
I understand what you are saying, but timing is always a factor and this is why the game ended on that play with an accepted penalty and was part of the explanation by the WH. Timing always plays a role in penalties and in this case it ended the game.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was only addressing the statement that all penalties by the offense under two minutes of either half results in a 10 second run off.

The pertinent NFL rule about fouls committed by the offense with the expiration of a period/half is Rule 4, Section 8, Article 2 (b).