The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Pick your ruling

Based on NFHS rules.....

A's ball 1st and 10 at B's 40. A17 throws a legal forward pass which is intercepted by B22 in his own endzone. B22 runs around in his endzone and is about to be tackled. Then B22 hands the ball forward to B30. B30 takes the ball all the way 100 plus yards for a touchdown!

pick your ruling...

A--foul against B22 for illegal forward handing. Penalize 5 yards from B's 20 yardline. 1st and 10 for B at their own 15.

B-- No foul,, legal play,, touchdown for B

C-- foul against B for illegal forward handing. End of the run is the basic spot. Foul is behind the basic spot. 100 plus yards behind, in fact, the foul is in B's endzone. SAFETY for A!
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 10:55am
Archaic Power Monger

The correct answer is C but get ready for an argument!
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The correct answer is C but get ready for an argument!
LOL,,, why do say that? What makes you think an arguement is about to take place? This place is all about learning and trying to get better..LOL
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

The argument will be from the team B coach, not from other officials. I would add that argument will likely result in an USC on the B coach as well because he will call you names he should not use.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

C. And not only will you not get an argument, you'll get the coach on that side not even cheering the 100 yard run as he'll have already seen your flag fly high in the endzone... and coaches know what a flag in the endzone usually means.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 01:12pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
The argument will be from the team B coach, not from other officials. I would add that argument will likely result in an USC on the B coach as well because he will call you names he should not use.
Exactly. I think most here are going to agree with C for the answer...the coach may not be so understanding.

A USC is likely forthcoming...except maybe if you're in Texas.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Ok,,, hang onto your hats. What if I think the correct answer is B??

NFHS rules....

Take a look at 2-19-2 for the definition of forward handing. Make a note of the fact that it talks about YARD LINES.

Then, go take a look at 2-26-7 and you'll see that YARD LINE actually has a definition too. And their aint no yard lines in the promised land that we call the END ZONE.

So, what I'm basically saying is this....can we have illegal forward handing in the end zone? I'm saying no.

Someone might make reference to rule 7-3-3.... and I still go back to the definition of forward handing.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Ha...ha-ha-ha. Yeah, right...go with that ruling. "Forward handing is ok in the end zone after a change in possession because there's no yard lines in the end zone."
Couldn't wait to see the review by any observer after that.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Ha...ha-ha-ha. Yeah, right...go with that ruling. "Forward handing is ok in the end zone after a change in possession because there's no yard lines in the end zone."
Couldn't wait to see the review by any observer after that.
Hey Mike,,, if you want to disagree with me, thats cool. But at least do it with some sort of rule reference that backs up your claim.

I'll admit that this is a stretch. But this board has been DEAD. I'd like to see some threads started with some interesting plays or ideas. This is what I dreamed up to try and get that started.

But I'm very comfortable with my knowledge of the rules, I can promise you that.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMooreReferee View Post
Then, go take a look at 2-26-7 and you'll see that YARD LINE actually has a definition too. And their aint no yard lines in the promised land that we call the END ZONE.
Nope. Here's 2-26-7:
"ART. 7 . . . A yard line is any line and its vertical plane parallel to the end lines.
The yard lines, marked or unmarked, in the field of play are numbered in yards
from a team’s own goal line to the middle of the field."

The yard lines IN THE FIELD OF PLAY are numbered and (some of them) marked. It doesn't follow that the end zone has no yard lines, just that they will not be marked or numbered.

Indeed, given the first sentence of this rule, I would say that there MUST be yard lines in the end zone, since there are vertical planes in the end zone that are parallel to the end lines.

So forward handing IS defined in the end zone, and still a foul.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey Mike,,, if you want to disagree with me, thats cool. But at least do it with some sort of rule reference that backs up your claim.

I'll admit that this is a stretch. But this board has been DEAD. I'd like to see some threads started with some interesting plays or ideas. This is what I dreamed up to try and get that started.

But I'm very comfortable with my knowledge of the rules, I can promise you that.
What you're trying to advocate here is not a stretch. It's just wrong. And if you want to try to hang your hat on forward handing is ok in the end zone because there's no yard lines there, then that's an interesting way to feel comfortable.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
What you're trying to advocate here is not a stretch. It's just wrong. And if you want to try to hang your hat on forward handing is ok in the end zone because there's no yard lines there, then that's an interesting way to feel comfortable.
I don't think he's hanging his hat on this so much as looking for a rules justification to disallow answer B. I believe MByron has done just that.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok,,, hang onto your hats. What if I think the correct answer is B??

NFHS rules....

Take a look at 2-19-2 for the definition of forward handing. Make a note of the fact that it talks about YARD LINES.

So, what I'm basically saying is this....can we have illegal forward handing in the end zone? I'm saying no.

Someone might make reference to rule 7-3-3.... and I still go back to the definition of forward handing.
That'd be consistent with rugby, where you can't be offside behind your goal line.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The yard lines IN THE FIELD OF PLAY are numbered and (some of them) marked. It doesn't follow that the end zone has no yard lines, just that they will not be marked or numbered.

Indeed, given the first sentence of this rule, I would say that there MUST be yard lines in the end zone, since there are vertical planes in the end zone that are parallel to the end lines.
As opposed to the NCAA definition of yard lines, which makes specific reference to the field of play.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
As opposed to the NCAA definition of yard lines, which makes specific reference to the field of play.
True, but the definition of yard lines is irrelevant to the discussion in NCAA, as no mention of yard lines exists in the NCAA rule regarding forward handing.

West Houston Mike