The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Pick your ruling (https://forum.officiating.com/football/58599-pick-your-ruling.html)

DrMooreReferee Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:42am

Pick your ruling

Based on NFHS rules.....

A's ball 1st and 10 at B's 40. A17 throws a legal forward pass which is intercepted by B22 in his own endzone. B22 runs around in his endzone and is about to be tackled. Then B22 hands the ball forward to B30. B30 takes the ball all the way 100 plus yards for a touchdown!

pick your ruling...

A--foul against B22 for illegal forward handing. Penalize 5 yards from B's 20 yardline. 1st and 10 for B at their own 15.

B-- No foul,, legal play,, touchdown for B

C-- foul against B for illegal forward handing. End of the run is the basic spot. Foul is behind the basic spot. 100 plus yards behind, in fact, the foul is in B's endzone. SAFETY for A!

Welpe Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:55am

The correct answer is C but get ready for an argument!

DrMooreReferee Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 685269)
The correct answer is C but get ready for an argument!

LOL,,, why do say that? What makes you think an arguement is about to take place? This place is all about learning and trying to get better..LOL

bisonlj Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:06pm

The argument will be from the team B coach, not from other officials. I would add that argument will likely result in an USC on the B coach as well because he will call you names he should not use.

MD Longhorn Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:57pm

C. And not only will you not get an argument, you'll get the coach on that side not even cheering the 100 yard run as he'll have already seen your flag fly high in the endzone... and coaches know what a flag in the endzone usually means.

Welpe Tue Jul 13, 2010 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 685287)
The argument will be from the team B coach, not from other officials. I would add that argument will likely result in an USC on the B coach as well because he will call you names he should not use.

Exactly. I think most here are going to agree with C for the answer...the coach may not be so understanding.

A USC is likely forthcoming...except maybe if you're in Texas.

DrMooreReferee Tue Jul 13, 2010 01:40pm

Ok,,, hang onto your hats. What if I think the correct answer is B??

NFHS rules....

Take a look at 2-19-2 for the definition of forward handing. Make a note of the fact that it talks about YARD LINES.

Then, go take a look at 2-26-7 and you'll see that YARD LINE actually has a definition too. And their aint no yard lines in the promised land that we call the END ZONE.

So, what I'm basically saying is this....can we have illegal forward handing in the end zone? I'm saying no.

Someone might make reference to rule 7-3-3.... and I still go back to the definition of forward handing.

Mike L Tue Jul 13, 2010 03:19pm

Ha...ha-ha-ha. Yeah, right...go with that ruling. "Forward handing is ok in the end zone after a change in possession because there's no yard lines in the end zone."
Couldn't wait to see the review by any observer after that.

DrMooreReferee Tue Jul 13, 2010 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike L (Post 685309)
Ha...ha-ha-ha. Yeah, right...go with that ruling. "Forward handing is ok in the end zone after a change in possession because there's no yard lines in the end zone."
Couldn't wait to see the review by any observer after that.

Hey Mike,,, if you want to disagree with me, thats cool. But at least do it with some sort of rule reference that backs up your claim.

I'll admit that this is a stretch. But this board has been DEAD. I'd like to see some threads started with some interesting plays or ideas. This is what I dreamed up to try and get that started.

But I'm very comfortable with my knowledge of the rules, I can promise you that.

mbyron Tue Jul 13, 2010 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrMooreReferee (Post 685299)
Then, go take a look at 2-26-7 and you'll see that YARD LINE actually has a definition too. And their aint no yard lines in the promised land that we call the END ZONE.

Nope. Here's 2-26-7:
"ART. 7 . . . A yard line is any line and its vertical plane parallel to the end lines.
The yard lines, marked or unmarked, in the field of play are numbered in yards
from a team’s own goal line to the middle of the field."

The yard lines IN THE FIELD OF PLAY are numbered and (some of them) marked. It doesn't follow that the end zone has no yard lines, just that they will not be marked or numbered.

Indeed, given the first sentence of this rule, I would say that there MUST be yard lines in the end zone, since there are vertical planes in the end zone that are parallel to the end lines.

So forward handing IS defined in the end zone, and still a foul.

Mike L Tue Jul 13, 2010 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrMooreReferee (Post 685315)
Hey Mike,,, if you want to disagree with me, thats cool. But at least do it with some sort of rule reference that backs up your claim.

I'll admit that this is a stretch. But this board has been DEAD. I'd like to see some threads started with some interesting plays or ideas. This is what I dreamed up to try and get that started.

But I'm very comfortable with my knowledge of the rules, I can promise you that.

What you're trying to advocate here is not a stretch. It's just wrong. And if you want to try to hang your hat on forward handing is ok in the end zone because there's no yard lines there, then that's an interesting way to feel comfortable.

MD Longhorn Wed Jul 14, 2010 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike L (Post 685327)
What you're trying to advocate here is not a stretch. It's just wrong. And if you want to try to hang your hat on forward handing is ok in the end zone because there's no yard lines there, then that's an interesting way to feel comfortable.

I don't think he's hanging his hat on this so much as looking for a rules justification to disallow answer B. I believe MByron has done just that.

Robert Goodman Wed Jul 14, 2010 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrMooreReferee (Post 685299)
Ok,,, hang onto your hats. What if I think the correct answer is B??

NFHS rules....

Take a look at 2-19-2 for the definition of forward handing. Make a note of the fact that it talks about YARD LINES.

So, what I'm basically saying is this....can we have illegal forward handing in the end zone? I'm saying no.

Someone might make reference to rule 7-3-3.... and I still go back to the definition of forward handing.

That'd be consistent with rugby, where you can't be offside behind your goal line.

Robert Goodman Wed Jul 14, 2010 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 685318)
The yard lines IN THE FIELD OF PLAY are numbered and (some of them) marked. It doesn't follow that the end zone has no yard lines, just that they will not be marked or numbered.

Indeed, given the first sentence of this rule, I would say that there MUST be yard lines in the end zone, since there are vertical planes in the end zone that are parallel to the end lines.

As opposed to the NCAA definition of yard lines, which makes specific reference to the field of play.

MD Longhorn Wed Jul 14, 2010 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 685392)
As opposed to the NCAA definition of yard lines, which makes specific reference to the field of play.

True, but the definition of yard lines is irrelevant to the discussion in NCAA, as no mention of yard lines exists in the NCAA rule regarding forward handing.