The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 08, 2010, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Timing question

Play#1 K punts and has an illegal formation at the snap. R25 receives the punt, returns it 5 yards and is tackled inbounds. If R accepts the penalty, the clock starts on the ready. He was tackled inbounds.

Play#2 K punts and has an illegal formation at the snap. R25 receives the punt and returns it 5 yards and goes out of bounds. If R accepts the penalty, the clock starts on the snap since he went out of bounds.

Play#3 K punts and has an illegal formation at the snap. R25 gives a valid faircatch signal and makes the fair catch. If R accepts the penalty, the clock starts on the snap. I think I'm right about this due to the fair catch.

Play#4 K punts and has an illegal formation at the snap. R25 gives a valid fair catch signal. But teammate R33 actually makes the catch. Now, we know that this is not a fair catch. But if R accepts the penalty, I'm thinking maybe the clock still starts on the snap. Because we still killed it because of the fair catch signal.

Take a look at these please. And tell me where I'm messing up. Because something doesn't feel right about #4
Old Thu Jul 08, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Just my guess, but I would think your assessment of starting the clock on the subsequent snap is correct because NF: 6-5-3 advises, "Only the receiver who gives a valid signal is afforded protection. If, after a receiver signals, the catch is made by a teammate, it is not a FC but the ball becomes dead."

It is the act of catching the kick (after a valid FC signal) that causes the clock to stop.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2010, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just a fan here, but aren't all four of these an "apparent change of possession"--meaning we start on the snap?
Old Fri Jul 09, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
I'm just a fan here, but aren't all four of these an "apparent change of possession"--meaning we start on the snap?
Part of the problem here (and the reason not many are answering this) is that the poster did not post the ruleset being used here. The answer is actually different depending on what level we're playing at.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jul 09, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Part of the problem here (and the reason not many are answering this) is that the poster did not post the ruleset being used here. The answer is actually different depending on what level we're playing at.

I assumed it was NFHS due to him using Team K and Team R. NCAA does not use K and R. Only A and B.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Clock stopped because there was a change of possession and would have started on the snap in all 4 instances. With or without the foul, I believe the clock would start on the snap for the next play regardless of penalty acceptance.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
True, I left out a big part. Sorry about that. NFHS rules is what I'm talking about here.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Clock stopped because there was a change of possession and would have started on the snap in all 4 instances. With or without the foul, I believe the clock would start on the snap for the next play regardless of penalty acceptance.
??? really??
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

football fan

I'm a football fan, i like play football. gald to talk about football with you. this time I wear Vibram Five Fingers Shoes watch World Cup, great game.