The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Timing question (https://forum.officiating.com/football/58574-timing-question.html)

DrMooreReferee Thu Jul 08, 2010 09:47am

Timing question

Play#1 K punts and has an illegal formation at the snap. R25 receives the punt, returns it 5 yards and is tackled inbounds. If R accepts the penalty, the clock starts on the ready. He was tackled inbounds.

Play#2 K punts and has an illegal formation at the snap. R25 receives the punt and returns it 5 yards and goes out of bounds. If R accepts the penalty, the clock starts on the snap since he went out of bounds.

Play#3 K punts and has an illegal formation at the snap. R25 gives a valid faircatch signal and makes the fair catch. If R accepts the penalty, the clock starts on the snap. I think I'm right about this due to the fair catch.

Play#4 K punts and has an illegal formation at the snap. R25 gives a valid fair catch signal. But teammate R33 actually makes the catch. Now, we know that this is not a fair catch. But if R accepts the penalty, I'm thinking maybe the clock still starts on the snap. Because we still killed it because of the fair catch signal.

Take a look at these please. And tell me where I'm messing up. Because something doesn't feel right about #4

ajmc Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:39am

Just my guess, but I would think your assessment of starting the clock on the subsequent snap is correct because NF: 6-5-3 advises, "Only the receiver who gives a valid signal is afforded protection. If, after a receiver signals, the catch is made by a teammate, it is not a FC but the ball becomes dead."

It is the act of catching the kick (after a valid FC signal) that causes the clock to stop.

Fan10 Thu Jul 08, 2010 09:32pm

I'm just a fan here, but aren't all four of these an "apparent change of possession"--meaning we start on the snap?

MD Longhorn Fri Jul 09, 2010 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan10 (Post 684915)
I'm just a fan here, but aren't all four of these an "apparent change of possession"--meaning we start on the snap?

Part of the problem here (and the reason not many are answering this) is that the poster did not post the ruleset being used here. The answer is actually different depending on what level we're playing at.

JasonTX Fri Jul 09, 2010 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 684945)
Part of the problem here (and the reason not many are answering this) is that the poster did not post the ruleset being used here. The answer is actually different depending on what level we're playing at.

I assumed it was NFHS due to him using Team K and Team R. NCAA does not use K and R. Only A and B.

bisonlj Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:50pm

Clock stopped because there was a change of possession and would have started on the snap in all 4 instances. With or without the foul, I believe the clock would start on the snap for the next play regardless of penalty acceptance.

DrMooreReferee Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 684945)

True, I left out a big part. Sorry about that. NFHS rules is what I'm talking about here.

DrMooreReferee Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 685073)
Clock stopped because there was a change of possession and would have started on the snap in all 4 instances. With or without the foul, I believe the clock would start on the snap for the next play regardless of penalty acceptance.

??? really??

ailidasfang Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:31pm

football fan

I'm a football fan, i like play football. gald to talk about football with you. this time I wear Vibram Five Fingers Shoes watch World Cup, great game.