The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post

The NFL official with 20 years experience says you are wrong.
You mean FORMER NFL official. There may be a reason he may be former. I'd rather trust a CURRENT NFL official. Plus, don't believe everything you read. Officials have been misquoted in the past and chances are Carollo didn't say any of that.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 07:27pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
You mean FORMER NFL official. There may be a reason he may be former. I'd rather trust a CURRENT NFL official.
This is a bit disingenuous don't you think? I dare say if the current Big 10 supervisor/former NFL official came to your clinic or evaluated a game you worked, you'd be tickled pink.

Maybe the WH blew it, maybe he didn't. We all get told every Friday and/or Saturday night we missed a call and we stand by our decision. Later, we get a chance to run through it mentally, or better yet, see video, and come to a different conclusion.

bigjohn has his tangents but I don't think he's off the mark here. The possible helmet to helmet on Rogers, the replay angle I saw it appeared the R was focused on the hold. The facemask sure looks like it was pulled to me.
I'm neither a Packer nor Cardinal fan. My team's QB should have been benched by week 2.

Mike P will be answering it all in about 20 minutes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 06:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
This is a bit disingenuous don't you think? I dare say if the current Big 10 supervisor/former NFL official came to your clinic or evaluated a game you worked, you'd be tickled pink.
I will put it this way. He is not a current NFL evaluator. Which means he might not be up on the current or every changing interpretation in the NFL? People that have been away are not always privy to those changes or the current philosophies. The NFL has changed many times over in the last several years. And unless he is aware of those changes his opinion is not any more relevant than the people that work in the NFL currently.

And Big John has a history of taking something he does not understand and running with it. Officials do make mistakes, but it does not appear they did here based on what I have seen all year being called and not called. I have seen many plays like this not called at all and I can live with it. Packer fans just are looking for an excuse to say they did not win while they gave up 45 points and the Cardinals let them back in the game to even have a chance to win. Someone has to be the blame for that and officials are easy scapegoats.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Victoria Advocate | Packers' McCarthy not blaming loss to Cardinals on officiating

NFL director of officiating Mike Pereira said in his weekly review on NFL Network that he supported referee Scott Green's call because there was no blatant twisting of the facemask. He said this kind of grab clearly falls under the incidental facemask penalty that was eliminated this season.

"Well he's got a finger, he's got a finger hooked on the mask," Pereira said. "It's a tough play, but it really is one of those where you don't get the big look that you got on the other facemasks of the clear and obvious pull, or the clear and obvious twist."

Pereira also said he consulted with Green and the replay officials and they did not think the "tuck rule" would have been invoked if the ball had hit the ground before Dansby caught it in mid-air. He said the call on the field of a fumble would have stood.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 06:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Good enough for me.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, well I get the feeling had they called a facemask he would have been supported as well.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yeah, well I get the feeling had they called a facemask he would have been supported as well.
Maybe and maybe not but as I stated before, there were similar situations like this it was not called. And you can disagree all you like, but that is a fact. And even the announcers have made note of this which normally they all do a terrible job explaining rules that have some nuance.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Too many fans are relying on the officials to bail them out. The fact is this game rested on the shoulders of Rogers. He is the one that fumbled the ball, not the referee. Had he not fumbled the ball, the outcome could have been different. The grasping of the facemask was not the reason the Packers lost. You can go back on look at some of the past Official Review segents where there was a flag thrown for this very same type of grasping of the facemask. As I recall, Mike P. disagreed with the flag on those. The reason for the rule is if the players neck is twisted, pullled, or turned in a way that he could possibly be injured. Rogers was not put in a position to where is safety was at risk. A general question here: When was the last time a player was ever injured as the result of even a major facemask foul?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

PackerChatters Blog Archive CYA in Arizona
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 02:58pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
No! I'm completely SHOCKED to see this coming from Packer fans.

Posting this type of crap is what people talk about when they call you a troll.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, the field judge should have detected the facemask.

Move along, FanBoy
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Pereira > Carollo > Fetchiet > Rule or mechanics book.

In the Midwest, if you are able to achieve such a status, you listen to the three above in that order.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

You guys take yourselves WAY too seriously!!!!!!!!
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:33am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Yup, you don't troll at all John.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Pot, meet Kettle. You two should get along famously.